Jan 2, 2012, 9:20 PM EST
The 6-foot point guard put any rumors of transferring to rest when he told the Memphis Commercial-Appeal that he hadn’t considered transferring, he “just had some personal issues off the court.” He’s frustrates and wants to do more – his summer with Team USA showed as much – but for some reason it’s not clicking yet.
What makes it all hard on Jackson is added pressure coming from people who’ve seen him thrive for years. He opened up to Jeff Goodman about that very issue:
“It’s hard,” Jackson said. “Everybody has an opinion around here and you can’t listen to everyone. It’s tough when you’re at home.”
Jackson met with Memphis coach Josh Pastner on Friday and was told to take a couple of days to contemplate whether he wanted to remain with the program and on the team.
“I love this city,” he said. “This was always a dream of mine to play for Memphis, be a Penny Hardaway type of guy. I want to be that person.”
Those expectations aren’t sky-high or anything. Pennys don’t come along often. He was a giant among Memphis players and a gifted player. Though Jackson’s got skills.
Jackson was a natural among the class of 2010 point guards. Kyrie Irving and Brandon Knight? Neither had anything on Jackson. It’s not even his production – 11.9 points, 3.1 assists per game – that’s an issue, but how he’s doing it. His scoring efficiency is slightly up, but his assist-to-turnover ratio is still 1-1.
Jackson expects more out of himself. When that happens, he knows wins will follow. And that’s all he really cares about.
“My frustration isn’t about me coming off the bench or my personal game,” Jackson told Goodman. “I feel like I haven’t done anything to help the team get to the next level.”
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Bubble Banter: N.C. State lands a critical win, Texas loses … again 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)