Jan 6, 2012, 12:33 AM EST
Louisiana-Lafayette’s Elfrid Payton played the hero in Thursday night’s 72-70 overtime win against Western Kentucky.
Well, Payton and the refs.
Payton’s driving layup in the final seconds came when the Ragin’ Cajuns had six players on the floor, though the referees didn’t notice. (Yes, that’s one player too many.) If they had, it would’ve been a technical foul and the Hilltoppers’ ball. It couldn’t be reviewed because the players had already left the court. There’s also no option to appeal.
And there was plenty of time to notice.
Payton received the in-bounds with more than 20 seconds left, shrugs off a wide-open teammate, nearly loses the ball then drives for the game-winning layup through the Western Kentucky defense. By then, the Hilltoppers were undoubtedly tired of chasing around so many players.
“It’s a hard pill to swallow,” Western Kentucky coach Ken McDonald told CBSSports.com afterward. “The refs made a mistake.”
As the broadcast team mentions, the refs huddled for a few seconds after the game, then got out of there.
Seems they finally realized what happened.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)