Jan 15, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
The sexual molestation investigation against former Syracuse assistant Bernie Fine was already a muddled mess, but Sunday added another level to it.
The fourth accuser in the case, Floyd “David” VanHooser, now says he lied to police and subsequent interviews with the Syracuse Post-Standard and the Associated Press. VanHooser’s motivation was to retaliate against Fine because Fine, 66, did not hire a lawyer to help VanHooser fight a conviction.
VanHooser, 56, is currently serving a sentence at Clinton state prison for burglaries in the Syracuse area.
He had claimed that Fine began molesting him when he was 14 or 15, and that it continued until last summer.
“In a statement I gave, I told a lot of lies about Bernie Fine. None of what I said was true,” VanHooser wrote in copies of letters addressed to the paper. “Bernie has been nothing but good to me over the years. He was the only thing I had close to a father. He never did anything wrong. He is a good man.”
VanHooser also told the paper that his statement to police was only partially true.
“Some of it is and some of it isn’t,” he told the paper. “You’re going to tell everyone how sorry I am?”
VanHooser says he never saw Fine abuse children.
No charges have been filed against Fine.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 4
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (14)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (4)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy