Jan 15, 2012, 5:50 PM EST
The sexual molestation investigation against former Syracuse assistant Bernie Fine was already a muddled mess, but Sunday added another level to it.
The fourth accuser in the case, Floyd “David” VanHooser, now says he lied to police and subsequent interviews with the Syracuse Post-Standard and the Associated Press. VanHooser’s motivation was to retaliate against Fine because Fine, 66, did not hire a lawyer to help VanHooser fight a conviction.
VanHooser, 56, is currently serving a sentence at Clinton state prison for burglaries in the Syracuse area.
He had claimed that Fine began molesting him when he was 14 or 15, and that it continued until last summer.
“In a statement I gave, I told a lot of lies about Bernie Fine. None of what I said was true,” VanHooser wrote in copies of letters addressed to the paper. “Bernie has been nothing but good to me over the years. He was the only thing I had close to a father. He never did anything wrong. He is a good man.”
VanHooser also told the paper that his statement to police was only partially true.
“Some of it is and some of it isn’t,” he told the paper. “You’re going to tell everyone how sorry I am?”
VanHooser says he never saw Fine abuse children.
No charges have been filed against Fine.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 3
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- West Virginia shows signs of progress in Puerto Rico Tipoff win over No. 17 UConn 1
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)