Jan 15, 2012, 5:50 PM EDT
The sexual molestation investigation against former Syracuse assistant Bernie Fine was already a muddled mess, but Sunday added another level to it.
The fourth accuser in the case, Floyd “David” VanHooser, now says he lied to police and subsequent interviews with the Syracuse Post-Standard and the Associated Press. VanHooser’s motivation was to retaliate against Fine because Fine, 66, did not hire a lawyer to help VanHooser fight a conviction.
VanHooser, 56, is currently serving a sentence at Clinton state prison for burglaries in the Syracuse area.
He had claimed that Fine began molesting him when he was 14 or 15, and that it continued until last summer.
“In a statement I gave, I told a lot of lies about Bernie Fine. None of what I said was true,” VanHooser wrote in copies of letters addressed to the paper. “Bernie has been nothing but good to me over the years. He was the only thing I had close to a father. He never did anything wrong. He is a good man.”
VanHooser also told the paper that his statement to police was only partially true.
“Some of it is and some of it isn’t,” he told the paper. “You’re going to tell everyone how sorry I am?”
VanHooser says he never saw Fine abuse children.
No charges have been filed against Fine.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 0
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 2
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 23
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 15
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (86)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (23)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (21)