Jan 17, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
Just when Memphis’ season started clicking – the Tigers have won six straight and are unbeaten in Conference USA – it hit another bump.
Freshman Adonis Thomas will undergo left ankle surgery and could miss the rest of the season, the Memphis Commercial-Appeal reported.
“A decision (was made) today from talking to the doctors and his family that he is going to have very minor surgery,” Pastner told the paper. “It’s minor. It’s not a fracture or a break. It’s just something with the cartilage, very minor. They just need to clean it up real quick. But the recovery time is that that we expect him to miss possibly the remainder of the season.”
Thomas could possibly play by the end of March, but that would mean reaching at least the Sweet 16. Doesn’t seem likely for a 12-5 team that’s lost to BCS schools such as Michigan, Louisville and Georgetown (twice).
Thomas, a 6-6 forward, is Memphis’ third-leading scorer and averages 9.7 points and 3.6 rebounds a game. Only sophomore Will Barton takes a higher percentage of shots while on the floor.
Thomas’ absence means more time for senior forward Wesley Witherspoon and junior D.J. Stephens, though the return of senior guard Charles Carmouche would help quite a bit. He hasn’t played since the Tigers’ win over Tennessee on Jan. 4.
- Jackson longs to be ‘Penny Hardaway type’ for Memphis
- Tigers PA announcer brain cramps on Pastner’s name
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Frank Kaminsky’s growth results in individual and team benefits for No. 1 Wisconsin 0
- Tourney Snacks: Duke-Gonzaga, Louisville-Michigan State advance to Elite 8 7
- No. 1 Duke advances to Elite 8 with win over No. 5 Utah 1
- No. 2 Gonzaga gets past No. 11 UCLA to advance to Elite 8 2
- Sources: Rick Barnes not expected to return to Texas 7
- Steve Lavin and St. John’s ‘mutually agree’ to part ways 1
- No. 2 Arizona pulls away from No. 6 Xavier, setting up West regional final rematch 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Three ACC, two Big Ten teams in Elite Eight (24)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)
- NCAA’s Mark Emmert calls Indiana’s religious freedom bill ‘especially concerning’ (20)