Jan 17, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
Just when Memphis’ season started clicking – the Tigers have won six straight and are unbeaten in Conference USA – it hit another bump.
Freshman Adonis Thomas will undergo left ankle surgery and could miss the rest of the season, the Memphis Commercial-Appeal reported.
“A decision (was made) today from talking to the doctors and his family that he is going to have very minor surgery,” Pastner told the paper. “It’s minor. It’s not a fracture or a break. It’s just something with the cartilage, very minor. They just need to clean it up real quick. But the recovery time is that that we expect him to miss possibly the remainder of the season.”
Thomas could possibly play by the end of March, but that would mean reaching at least the Sweet 16. Doesn’t seem likely for a 12-5 team that’s lost to BCS schools such as Michigan, Louisville and Georgetown (twice).
Thomas, a 6-6 forward, is Memphis’ third-leading scorer and averages 9.7 points and 3.6 rebounds a game. Only sophomore Will Barton takes a higher percentage of shots while on the floor.
Thomas’ absence means more time for senior forward Wesley Witherspoon and junior D.J. Stephens, though the return of senior guard Charles Carmouche would help quite a bit. He hasn’t played since the Tigers’ win over Tennessee on Jan. 4.
- Jackson longs to be ‘Penny Hardaway type’ for Memphis
- Tigers PA announcer brain cramps on Pastner’s name
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Report: Rutgers AD inflicted “mental cruelty” in her own coaching days 0
- Next college hoops season will begin and end in Texas 0
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?