Jan 17, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
Just when Memphis’ season started clicking – the Tigers have won six straight and are unbeaten in Conference USA – it hit another bump.
Freshman Adonis Thomas will undergo left ankle surgery and could miss the rest of the season, the Memphis Commercial-Appeal reported.
“A decision (was made) today from talking to the doctors and his family that he is going to have very minor surgery,” Pastner told the paper. “It’s minor. It’s not a fracture or a break. It’s just something with the cartilage, very minor. They just need to clean it up real quick. But the recovery time is that that we expect him to miss possibly the remainder of the season.”
Thomas could possibly play by the end of March, but that would mean reaching at least the Sweet 16. Doesn’t seem likely for a 12-5 team that’s lost to BCS schools such as Michigan, Louisville and Georgetown (twice).
Thomas, a 6-6 forward, is Memphis’ third-leading scorer and averages 9.7 points and 3.6 rebounds a game. Only sophomore Will Barton takes a higher percentage of shots while on the floor.
Thomas’ absence means more time for senior forward Wesley Witherspoon and junior D.J. Stephens, though the return of senior guard Charles Carmouche would help quite a bit. He hasn’t played since the Tigers’ win over Tennessee on Jan. 4.
- Jackson longs to be ‘Penny Hardaway type’ for Memphis
- Tigers PA announcer brain cramps on Pastner’s name
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Wisconsin’s Bo Ryan makes another statement wavering on potential retirement 0
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)
- Buffalo dismisses Justin Moss, reigning MAC Player of the Year, from team (2)
- Syracuse legend to undergo surgery on a brain tumor this week (2)