Jan 17, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
Just when Memphis’ season started clicking – the Tigers have won six straight and are unbeaten in Conference USA – it hit another bump.
Freshman Adonis Thomas will undergo left ankle surgery and could miss the rest of the season, the Memphis Commercial-Appeal reported.
“A decision (was made) today from talking to the doctors and his family that he is going to have very minor surgery,” Pastner told the paper. “It’s minor. It’s not a fracture or a break. It’s just something with the cartilage, very minor. They just need to clean it up real quick. But the recovery time is that that we expect him to miss possibly the remainder of the season.”
Thomas could possibly play by the end of March, but that would mean reaching at least the Sweet 16. Doesn’t seem likely for a 12-5 team that’s lost to BCS schools such as Michigan, Louisville and Georgetown (twice).
Thomas, a 6-6 forward, is Memphis’ third-leading scorer and averages 9.7 points and 3.6 rebounds a game. Only sophomore Will Barton takes a higher percentage of shots while on the floor.
Thomas’ absence means more time for senior forward Wesley Witherspoon and junior D.J. Stephens, though the return of senior guard Charles Carmouche would help quite a bit. He hasn’t played since the Tigers’ win over Tennessee on Jan. 4.
- Jackson longs to be ‘Penny Hardaway type’ for Memphis
- Tigers PA announcer brain cramps on Pastner’s name
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 2
- California guard Tyrone Wallace to return for senior season 0
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (17)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)