Jan 17, 2012, 11:29 AM EDT
Just when Memphis’ season started clicking – the Tigers have won six straight and are unbeaten in Conference USA – it hit another bump.
Freshman Adonis Thomas will undergo left ankle surgery and could miss the rest of the season, the Memphis Commercial-Appeal reported.
“A decision (was made) today from talking to the doctors and his family that he is going to have very minor surgery,” Pastner told the paper. “It’s minor. It’s not a fracture or a break. It’s just something with the cartilage, very minor. They just need to clean it up real quick. But the recovery time is that that we expect him to miss possibly the remainder of the season.”
Thomas could possibly play by the end of March, but that would mean reaching at least the Sweet 16. Doesn’t seem likely for a 12-5 team that’s lost to BCS schools such as Michigan, Louisville and Georgetown (twice).
Thomas, a 6-6 forward, is Memphis’ third-leading scorer and averages 9.7 points and 3.6 rebounds a game. Only sophomore Will Barton takes a higher percentage of shots while on the floor.
Thomas’ absence means more time for senior forward Wesley Witherspoon and junior D.J. Stephens, though the return of senior guard Charles Carmouche would help quite a bit. He hasn’t played since the Tigers’ win over Tennessee on Jan. 4.
- Jackson longs to be ‘Penny Hardaway type’ for Memphis
- Tigers PA announcer brain cramps on Pastner’s name
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- 2014-15 Season Preview: 20 Impact Freshmen 0
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes 2
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 13 VCU Rams 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 14 Florida Gators 0
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) 2
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Washington’s big Monday, Maryland’s insurance, Two 2016 guards off board 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 15 Oklahoma Sooners 1
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (5)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)