Jan 28, 2012, 6:03 PM EST
Playing their third straight game without the services of starting center Fab Melo, Syracuse escaped with a 63-61 win over West Virginia at the Carrier Dome on Saturday afternoon.
What everyone is going to remember is the missed goaltending call, which is fair. The goaltend was as obvious as the no-call was atrocious:
And, as is the standard anytime there is a bad call that decides a game, the pitchwork-waving twitter revolutionists started complaining about how many games officials work and began calling for replay to be added for goaltending.
It was a bad call. It happens. West Virginia probably would have lost to Cincinnati had Kevin Jones been granted a timeout at the end of regulation last week.
What West Virginia should be more concerned about is their inability to take advantage of the opportunities granted them by Syracuse. The ‘Eers had 19 offensive rebounds, had a number of bad possessions down the stretch and missed two threes in the final ten seconds that would have won the game. One of those threes came after the game-saving “block”.
West Virginia got a bad break, yes, but they lost this game all on their own.
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Rick Pitino on Terry Rozier’s impending NBA Draft decision: ‘He’s not coming back’ 0
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s (4)
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man (4)