Jan 28, 2012, 6:03 PM EDT
Playing their third straight game without the services of starting center Fab Melo, Syracuse escaped with a 63-61 win over West Virginia at the Carrier Dome on Saturday afternoon.
What everyone is going to remember is the missed goaltending call, which is fair. The goaltend was as obvious as the no-call was atrocious:
And, as is the standard anytime there is a bad call that decides a game, the pitchwork-waving twitter revolutionists started complaining about how many games officials work and began calling for replay to be added for goaltending.
It was a bad call. It happens. West Virginia probably would have lost to Cincinnati had Kevin Jones been granted a timeout at the end of regulation last week.
What West Virginia should be more concerned about is their inability to take advantage of the opportunities granted them by Syracuse. The ‘Eers had 19 offensive rebounds, had a number of bad possessions down the stretch and missed two threes in the final ten seconds that would have won the game. One of those threes came after the game-saving “block”.
West Virginia got a bad break, yes, but they lost this game all on their own.
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- CBT Quotables Part IV: The Lawsons, Stephen Zimmerman, Malik Monk 1
- Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Rabb, Zimmerman go big, Chris Clarke goes hard, Lawson bros advance 0
- Nike Peach Jam Saturday Recap: Jayson Tatum, DeAndre Ayton and Briscoe vs. Trier 0
- Peach Jam Recruiting Notebook: Jamal Murray plays well, Tyler Davis has big day, Juwan Morgan likes two 0
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)