Jan 28, 2012, 6:03 PM EST
Playing their third straight game without the services of starting center Fab Melo, Syracuse escaped with a 63-61 win over West Virginia at the Carrier Dome on Saturday afternoon.
What everyone is going to remember is the missed goaltending call, which is fair. The goaltend was as obvious as the no-call was atrocious:
And, as is the standard anytime there is a bad call that decides a game, the pitchwork-waving twitter revolutionists started complaining about how many games officials work and began calling for replay to be added for goaltending.
It was a bad call. It happens. West Virginia probably would have lost to Cincinnati had Kevin Jones been granted a timeout at the end of regulation last week.
What West Virginia should be more concerned about is their inability to take advantage of the opportunities granted them by Syracuse. The ‘Eers had 19 offensive rebounds, had a number of bad possessions down the stretch and missed two threes in the final ten seconds that would have won the game. One of those threes came after the game-saving “block”.
West Virginia got a bad break, yes, but they lost this game all on their own.
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 20
- Burning Questions: Who will be this year’s surprise freshman standout? 0
- After getting embarrassed by No. 1 Kentucky, where does No. 5 Kansas go from here? 3
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? 5
- No. 4 Duke proves No. 19 Michigan State cannot win at elite level if they keep missing on elite talent 3
- Wofford’s grueling start to the season began well before their 7:00 a.m. game 0
- No. 13 Gonzaga makes definitive statement with blowout of No. 22 SMU 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (20)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)