Feb 16, 2012, 12:01 PM EST
Duke and N.C. State only play once this season (barring a rematch in the ACC tournament). So how do coaches Mike Krzyzewski and Mark Gottfried approach it.
They’re both playing the nice guy. Check these compliments, via ACC Now.
“I think they’ve earned everything that they’ve gotten,” Krzyzewski said. “I think they’re an NCAA team and I think they will be tough down the stretch for a lot of people.”
“They’re a terrific team and they’ve had a great year. I really like their team,” Gottfried said. “They’re certainly one of the two or three best teams in the country, in my opinion.”
So. Which statement is “nicer?”
The Wolfpack are 18-7 overall and 7-3 in the ACC after three straight wins. They’re in our latest NCAA tournament projections, but as a 12 seed. Not even close to a lock. Coach K’s not really pulling a Lou Holtz, but “terrific” might be overstating it.
As for Gottfried … Duke is 21-4 overall and 8-2 in the ACC. They’re ranked fifth in the AP poll, but that’s almost certainly too high. By 4 or 5 five spots. The Devils are good, but as good as Kentucky, Syracuse, Ohio State or Missouri? A stretch. A small one, but I suppose Gottfried’s gotta try anything he can at this point. NC State hasn’t won at Duke since 1995 – and that was with Coach K laid up due to back surgery.
If Gottfried’s lucky, his team won’t play as nice as his comment was.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Players 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 2
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 20 Most Improved Players 2
- College Hoops Week in Review: Wisconsin’s for real, and so is Chaz Williams 1
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role (2)