Feb 16, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
Duke and N.C. State only play once this season (barring a rematch in the ACC tournament). So how do coaches Mike Krzyzewski and Mark Gottfried approach it.
They’re both playing the nice guy. Check these compliments, via ACC Now.
“I think they’ve earned everything that they’ve gotten,” Krzyzewski said. “I think they’re an NCAA team and I think they will be tough down the stretch for a lot of people.”
“They’re a terrific team and they’ve had a great year. I really like their team,” Gottfried said. “They’re certainly one of the two or three best teams in the country, in my opinion.”
So. Which statement is “nicer?”
The Wolfpack are 18-7 overall and 7-3 in the ACC after three straight wins. They’re in our latest NCAA tournament projections, but as a 12 seed. Not even close to a lock. Coach K’s not really pulling a Lou Holtz, but “terrific” might be overstating it.
As for Gottfried … Duke is 21-4 overall and 8-2 in the ACC. They’re ranked fifth in the AP poll, but that’s almost certainly too high. By 4 or 5 five spots. The Devils are good, but as good as Kentucky, Syracuse, Ohio State or Missouri? A stretch. A small one, but I suppose Gottfried’s gotta try anything he can at this point. NC State hasn’t won at Duke since 1995 – and that was with Coach K laid up due to back surgery.
If Gottfried’s lucky, his team won’t play as nice as his comment was.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Despite allegations Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 0
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional