Feb 18, 2012, 5:25 PM EST
The secret’s out on No. 24 Wichita State. Now the only question is how many people will buy into the Shockers as an elite team?
After their incredible second half Saturday at Davidson – WSU hit 20 of 25 shots to pull away for a 91-74 win in its BracketBusters game – they should be a popular pick among Final Four darkhorses. (Seth Davis already has ‘em in his.) They’re 24-4, seemed poised to clinch the Missouri Valley title over a more-heralded Creighton team and are one of the few teams in kenpom.com ratings with an elite offense and defense.
Only six teams – Kentucky, Ohio State, Michigan State, Kansas, Syracuse and North Carolina – feature teams with an adjusted offense and defense in the top 20. WSU just misses that (its defense sits at 23), a sign of impressive balance and talent. This isn’t new. But the funny thing is the Shockers aren’t ready to label themselves as an elite team.
“This gives us a quality win and will enable us to move up… if not the top 15, then the top 20,” junior guard Demetric Williams said after beating Davidson. “Hopefully this gets us into the (NCAA) tournament.”
Hopefully? Demetric, you’re in. The only question is how far into the tournament you’re going.
Wichita State starts five seniors in Toure’ Murry, Garrett Stutz, Ben Smith, David Kyles and Joe Ragland, who burned the Wildcats for 30 points, hitting 11 of 14 shots. Throw in junior Carl Hall and Williams, and it’s a rotation with height (Stutz is 7-feet), defensive ability (Murry can guard most any player) and skill (smith and Kyles are solid from outside), not to mention a guy in Ragland who can get hot as well as anyone.
Davidson coach Bob McKillop will attest to that.
“He didn’t miss too many shots. He threatened you from 3-point land. He threatened you from the drive. He threatened you in transition and in half court. He did a nice job of controlling the offense. He was sensational,” he said.
WSU has it all. Now it just remains to be seen if all those pieces can result in something historic come March.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Tracking The Unbeatens: The showdown between Kentucky, Louisville looms 0
- New Year’s Resolutions: Ohio State Buckeyes 0
- Weekly Awards: Marquette’s new addition, a shakeup in Pac-12’s power structure ? 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 25: Virginia moves up, three teams drop out 0
- ACC suspends Louisville junior forward Montrezl Harrell one game 0
- Late Night Snacks: Villanova survives Syracuse while UNC, SMU get big wins 0
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA 5
- Report: David Robinson’s son will be preferred walk-on at Duke in 2015-16 (VIDEO) (6)
- West Virginia’s Bob Huggins torches Marshall after coach calls Huggs ‘afraid’ (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky dismantles UCLA (5)
- Tracking The Unbeatens: There are now just nine teams without a loss (3)
- Lauren Hill’s playing career over, to become honorary coach (3)