Feb 21, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
You may not know Jack Blankenship’s name, but you might recognize his face.
This photo taken by Hal Yeager of the Birmingham (Ala.) News went viral last week, showcasing Blankenship’s face in the exact pose of a giant cardboard head – that also featured his face. ESPN’s TV cameras also noticed him during Alabama’s Feb. 4 69-67 win vs. Ole Miss, but it wasn’t until the photo that people really started noticed.
Now, Blankenship’s become a minor celebrity, all because he was smart enough to be a little creative. The Tuscaloosa native hit the Big Apple this week – updates on his Twitter timeline are priceless – and he even stopped by the TODAY Show to explain how the big face thing got started and why he makes that face.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
He plans to launch a stand-up comedy career someday, which will almost certainly include some kind of amusing face or two.
How else to live up to a Twitter bio says “publicly embarrassing myself since 1992?”
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? 2
- North Carolina shows up ready to compete, knocks off No. 1 Michigan State 2
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role 2
- The Chase for 180: Doug McDermott’s tough night 0
- Michigan’s offensive struggles in 79-69 loss to Duke a major concern 1
- Marshall Henderson’s on-court antics aren’t changing. Deal with it (5)
- Tim Floyd tees off on Andy Enfield: ‘We’re not going to take it in the shorts’ (3)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- No. 20 Creighton gets 27 from Doug McDermott, stifles Jahii Carson in blowout (2)
- Arizona’s Aaron Gordon belongs in the conversation with the best freshmen despite what box score says (2)