Feb 23, 2012, 8:30 AM EDT
San Francisco 49ers head coach Jim Harbaugh had quite a successful first season in the NFL.
In addition to leading his team to the NFC West title and a couple of botched punts from the Super Bowl, he was named NFL Coach of the Year, in large part because he was able to turn Alex Smith into a serviceable quarterback. Obviously, the next step was for Harbaugh to volunteer as a student manager at an Indiana basketball game.
I’m serious. In what was otherwise a trivial, late-February game between the Hoosiers and North Carolina Central, Harbaugh made waves across the twitter-sphere as he spent the game doing what student managers do, poking his head into the team huddles and even helping to set up and clear the stools set up on the court during timeouts.
And while it may seem that way on the surface, this wasn’t a completely random occurrence. Harbaugh’s sister is married to Indiana head coach Tom Crean. When Crean was asked why an NFL head coach had any interest in lugging around stools for a college hoops team to sit on during a game, Harbaugh — who had snuck his way into the back of Crean’s presser conference — blurted out “I’m trying to contribute.”
As enjoyable as the scene must have been, I can’t help but wonder whether or not Indiana was using Harbaugh properly. The Hoosier’s football team probably could use the help.
Oh, and Indiana won 75-56. Because that matters, right?
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Toledo looks to end a 35-year NCAA Tournament drought and rep the MAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 8 Texas Longhorns 1
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: Stanley Johnson, Sam Dekker lead wing forward rankings 1
- Five-star 2015 power forward down to five schools (2)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)