Feb 24, 2012, 8:10 AM EDT
I got a feeling Pat Knight is going to regret this press conference.
After his Lamar Cardinals lost to Sam Houston State 62-52 on Wednesday night, Knight absolutely ripped the senior class on his team to shreds. He said they lacked leadership, that they were a problem off the court and they were the “worst group of seniors right now that I’ve ever been associated with.” He goes as far as bringing up drug issues.
Take a look. It’s almost cringe-worthy at points.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Look, the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree, I know, which means that playing for Pat Knight isn’t going to be all that much different that playing for his father, Bob Knight. That said, I don’t care how frustrated you get with your team, in house issues must stay in house.
Blaming your players a loss, in my mind, is unacceptable.
I understand he’s frustrated having lost three of the last four games and, frankly, I don’t care if things are actually worse than the way he described them in the press conference. If you are a coach, you simply cannot take out knives and carve up your team publicly like that.
Poor form, Coach Knight. You’re better than that.
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)