Feb 24, 2012, 8:10 AM EST
I got a feeling Pat Knight is going to regret this press conference.
After his Lamar Cardinals lost to Sam Houston State 62-52 on Wednesday night, Knight absolutely ripped the senior class on his team to shreds. He said they lacked leadership, that they were a problem off the court and they were the “worst group of seniors right now that I’ve ever been associated with.” He goes as far as bringing up drug issues.
Take a look. It’s almost cringe-worthy at points.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Look, the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree, I know, which means that playing for Pat Knight isn’t going to be all that much different that playing for his father, Bob Knight. That said, I don’t care how frustrated you get with your team, in house issues must stay in house.
Blaming your players a loss, in my mind, is unacceptable.
I understand he’s frustrated having lost three of the last four games and, frankly, I don’t care if things are actually worse than the way he described them in the press conference. If you are a coach, you simply cannot take out knives and carve up your team publicly like that.
Poor form, Coach Knight. You’re better than that.
- Texas hangs on to beat No. 14 North Carolina in Chapel Hill 3
- The Chase for 180: Nic Moore’s hot start 0
- Leslie McDonald has been cleared, while reports say P.J. Hairston unlikely to play this season 6
- Memphis loss shouldn’t feed narrative about Josh Pastner, big games 0
- Casey Prather’s star turn a boon for Florida 1
- Report: Former North Carolina guard Will Graves arrested on drug charges at home owned by head coach Roy Williams (20)
- Kentucky is a flawed team, but does that mean they can’t contend? (12)
- WATCH: Southern Illinois coach Barry Hinson unloads in press conference (8)
- Leslie McDonald has been cleared, while reports say P.J. Hairston unlikely to play this season (6)
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate (5)