Feb 24, 2012, 8:10 AM EDT
I got a feeling Pat Knight is going to regret this press conference.
After his Lamar Cardinals lost to Sam Houston State 62-52 on Wednesday night, Knight absolutely ripped the senior class on his team to shreds. He said they lacked leadership, that they were a problem off the court and they were the “worst group of seniors right now that I’ve ever been associated with.” He goes as far as bringing up drug issues.
Take a look. It’s almost cringe-worthy at points.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Look, the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree, I know, which means that playing for Pat Knight isn’t going to be all that much different that playing for his father, Bob Knight. That said, I don’t care how frustrated you get with your team, in house issues must stay in house.
Blaming your players a loss, in my mind, is unacceptable.
I understand he’s frustrated having lost three of the last four games and, frankly, I don’t care if things are actually worse than the way he described them in the press conference. If you are a coach, you simply cannot take out knives and carve up your team publicly like that.
Poor form, Coach Knight. You’re better than that.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)