Feb 24, 2012, 8:10 AM EDT
I got a feeling Pat Knight is going to regret this press conference.
After his Lamar Cardinals lost to Sam Houston State 62-52 on Wednesday night, Knight absolutely ripped the senior class on his team to shreds. He said they lacked leadership, that they were a problem off the court and they were the “worst group of seniors right now that I’ve ever been associated with.” He goes as far as bringing up drug issues.
Take a look. It’s almost cringe-worthy at points.
Look, the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree, I know, which means that playing for Pat Knight isn’t going to be all that much different that playing for his father, Bob Knight. That said, I don’t care how frustrated you get with your team, in house issues must stay in house.
Blaming your players a loss, in my mind, is unacceptable.
I understand he’s frustrated having lost three of the last four games and, frankly, I don’t care if things are actually worse than the way he described them in the press conference. If you are a coach, you simply cannot take out knives and carve up your team publicly like that.
Poor form, Coach Knight. You’re better than that.
- This week is a very important week for Ed O’Bannon’s case against the NCAA 0
- A broken foot failed to derail C.J. McCollum’s trek to the lottery 0
- The most important skill Michael Carter-Williams learned as a freshman? Work ethic 0
- Aaron Gordon: ‘Whatever Coach Miller wants me to play, I’ll play it.’ 0
- Bruce Pearl could have starred in Welcome Back, Kotter in the 1970s 0
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL