Feb 24, 2012, 8:10 AM EDT
I got a feeling Pat Knight is going to regret this press conference.
After his Lamar Cardinals lost to Sam Houston State 62-52 on Wednesday night, Knight absolutely ripped the senior class on his team to shreds. He said they lacked leadership, that they were a problem off the court and they were the “worst group of seniors right now that I’ve ever been associated with.” He goes as far as bringing up drug issues.
Take a look. It’s almost cringe-worthy at points.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Look, the apple doesn’t fall too far from the tree, I know, which means that playing for Pat Knight isn’t going to be all that much different that playing for his father, Bob Knight. That said, I don’t care how frustrated you get with your team, in house issues must stay in house.
Blaming your players a loss, in my mind, is unacceptable.
I understand he’s frustrated having lost three of the last four games and, frankly, I don’t care if things are actually worse than the way he described them in the press conference. If you are a coach, you simply cannot take out knives and carve up your team publicly like that.
Poor form, Coach Knight. You’re better than that.
- Manhattan’s returnees look to build on the achievements of last season’s senior class 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Rivals Iona, Manhattan have company in race to the top of the MAAC 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 11 Villanova Wildcats 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Kentucky’s loaded rotation leads nation’s best front courts 0
- Cameron Payne didn’t expect to fill Isaiah Canaan’s void at Murray State, but he did 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: The Top 20 Perimeter Attacks 1
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 12 Wichita State 1
- UNC investigation states bogus classes pushed by academic counselors to athletes (7)
- Report: Texas plans to start paying their athletes $10,000 stipend (4)
- 2014-2015 Season Preview: College Basketball’s Top 13 Dunkers (VIDEOS) (3)
- Texas A&M lands another five-star center, has loaded 2015 recruiting class (2)
- Florida guard cleared to return to practice (2)