Feb 26, 2012, 4:54 PM EST
Once Connecticut coach Jim Calhoun has back surgery for his spinal stenois on Monday, he’ll miss the Huskies’ game Tuesday at Providence.
But after that, anything’s possible for a return this season.
The surgery involved removing some of the bone in the spinal column to relieve pressure on the nerve roots. Calhoun, 69, has had a history of health issues, but he’s usually able to tolerate pain and various maladies. The guy’s tough. But the spinal stenois has been painful enough that he’s missed the last seven games.
If the surgery’s successful, he could possibly return for UConn’s regular-season finale against Pitt on March 3.
“I have patients driving after a couple of days, and if you can drive, you can coach, assuming he’s not having other problems that would require a much more aggressive surgery,” Dr. John Knightly, who works at the Spine Center at Overlook Medical Center in Summit, N.J., told the AP. “He’s not humping two-by-fours for a living. This is so he can walk more independently without pain.”
If that’s true, Calhoun’s return this season seems far more likely (a good thing for the struggling Huskies), as does him avoiding retirement.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Tracking The Unbeatens: Virginia’s difficult schedule, and why were Kentucky’s platoons created? 2
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 1
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 4
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 4
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)