Feb 28, 2012, 1:45 AM EDT
Kansas won the game, but Keiton Page won the Jayhawks’ respect Monday night.
Just ask Tyshawn Taylor. “He a bad boy, man,” he told ESPN’s Holly Rowe afterward. “He a bad boy.”
No kidding. The Cowboys’ senior sharpshooting guard did his best to knock off the nation’s No. 3 team, scoring 29 points and scoring 11 straight at one point that cut a lead to single digits with 5:35 left.
But Taylor – prompted by a challenge issues by KU coach Bill Self – didn’t allow Page to score any more points and scored Kansas’ last 10 points by himself in a 70-58 win.
“Fortunately for us, [Taylor] was able to match him basically basket for basket there down the stretch when we had to make a couple plays,” Self said.
Page ended the night as the school’s career leader in made 3s (280), passing an elite player like Randy Rutherford in the process.
“Everybody’s game plan is to stop Keiton Page,” Cowboy coach Travis Ford told The Oklahoman, “and to still score 29 points, that’s hard to do.
“It borders on incredible that he keeps doing that.”
It’s like Taylor said, Page is a bad boy.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (3)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)