Mar 1, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
Sometimes it is too easy to fall into the trap of being a fan.
We forget that the athletes we are watching from the stands or on our TV aren’t simply a source of entertainment for us, that they aren’t cyborgs immune to the criticism and the name-calling and all the rest of the vitriol spewed from the comfort of the anonymity that the internet provides.
I’m not innocent, either.
I’ve made plenty of negative comments directed towards athletes and TV personalities. Baylor sophomore Perry Jones III has been on the receiving end of a number of them. And while my opinion of the player they call PJ3 hasn’t changed at all this season, after reading Jason King’s story on his history, the way I view him as a person has:
That’s what frustrates Jones’ inner circle. Everyone thinks they know PJ3, as he’s called by his friends, but the perceptions are far from true. The people who believe he was getting money from Baylor during high school might feel differently if they knew Jones was homeless — bouncing from one $95-a-week hotel room to another — throughout much of his final prep season.
Those who wonder why he picked the Bears over a national power such as North Carolina or Kansas might understand if they knew that Jones’ 40-year-old mother, Terri, was battling a severe heart condition — she may need a transplant — 90 minutes away near Dallas.
Seriously. Read it.
I still think Jones has a ways to go before he is an impact player in the NBA. He needs to get stronger, he needs to be physically tougher and he needs to be more aggressive attacking the rim.
But I can tell you that he will have at least one blogger pulling for him to make it.
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 11
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Weekly Awards: LaDontae Henton, West Virginia with notable performances 0
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? 5
- Providence star LaDontae ‘Buckets’ Henton may be the nation’s most under-appreciated star 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (12)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Colorado’s second half run a product of its focus on getting the ball inside (3)