Mar 1, 2012, 8:45 PM EST
Wayne Blackshear played 20 minutes in his Louisville debut on Feb. 11, but has logged 21 total minutes – including a DNP vs. Cincinnati – in the five games since.
That may soon change.
As the No. 19 Cardinals prepare to face No. 2 Syracuse on Saturday, coach Rick Pitino says playing the freshman wing is one of the few certainties the Cards have right now. Kyle Kuric might see more time at 2-guard. The hope is Blackshear can provide an addition scoring presence. That may be asking a lot.
The 6-5 forward was a 5-star recruit coming out of high school but injuries kept him off the court for most of the season. He hasn’t displayed much confidence in his return, which is showing in his shot and lack of playing time. Makes sense, though. Who wouldn’t be rusty missing that much time?
The move might seem slightly desperate for a team still fighting for a top 4 seed in the NCAA tournament, but Pitino clearly feels as if he has no choice. The Cards have scored more than 57 points just once in the last five games.
If that continues against Syracuse and into the Big East tournament, this scenario won’t be out of the question.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb 31
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)