Mar 3, 2012, 2:27 AM EST
UConn coach Jim Calhoun was back at practice Friday, but that doesn’t mean he’ll be coaching the Huskies when they play host to Pitt on Saturday.
In fact, Calhoun was mostly there to alleviate some restlessness, not because he feels better after having surgery to alleviate nerve pain in his back.
“I feel tired now,” he told the AP. “It’s the first time I’ve practiced in almost four weeks. So it’s kind of hard to anticipate where I will be. But hopefully I’ll wake up tomorrow and feel better. If I don’t, if I feel like I can’t give the kids my all for a couple of hours, then I won’t do it and I’ll try it on Sunday in practice again.”
“I have not made plans to do anything else except come back,” he said. “A few things along the way have gotten in my way.”
Calhoun, 69, has been on indefinite medical leave since Feb. 3, missing eight games in that span. UConn (17-12) has gone 3-5 without him and in is danger of not making the NCAA tournament and not defending as champions.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 1
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Player of the Year Power Rankings: A familiar face on top, but a few surprises behind him 0
- Ricky Doyle secures 70-63 win for No. 19 Michigan over Oregon in Legends Classic 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program 13
- Mike Brey was excited about Notre Dame’s loss because the Irish have their closer back 1
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (4)