Mar 3, 2012, 7:39 PM EST
Our old friend Jelan Kendrick was back in the news Saturday afternoon.
Minutes before tip-off in Mississippi’s 60-51 win against Alabama, Kendrick — while in uniform — walked into the stands to get his girlfriend before leaving the arena. He eventually returned, making it back to the end of the Ole Miss bench at some point during the first half, but he never left the seat. Not for team huddles. Not for warmups in the second half.
Now, we have yet to get word why Kendrick thought it would be a good idea to ditch his team before a game started. And before we all destroy Kendrick for this move, remember that athletes are people, too. They have to deal with the same kind of pressing emergencies as the rest of us. So until we get official word on why he left or what the ramifications will be, we should digest this news with a grain of salt.
But based on Andy Kennedy’s post-game comments, I’m not that confident that Kendrick will be cleared. “I will sit back and we will revisit the situation once I have a chance to evaluate it,” Kennedy said.
In case you’ve forgotten, Kendrick is a former McDonald’s all-american that was kicked off of the Memphis team before he ever played a game for the Tigers as a result of his behavior, which included a couple of altercations with teammates.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 0
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (12)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)