Mar 3, 2012, 7:39 PM EDT
Our old friend Jelan Kendrick was back in the news Saturday afternoon.
Minutes before tip-off in Mississippi’s 60-51 win against Alabama, Kendrick — while in uniform — walked into the stands to get his girlfriend before leaving the arena. He eventually returned, making it back to the end of the Ole Miss bench at some point during the first half, but he never left the seat. Not for team huddles. Not for warmups in the second half.
Now, we have yet to get word why Kendrick thought it would be a good idea to ditch his team before a game started. And before we all destroy Kendrick for this move, remember that athletes are people, too. They have to deal with the same kind of pressing emergencies as the rest of us. So until we get official word on why he left or what the ramifications will be, we should digest this news with a grain of salt.
But based on Andy Kennedy’s post-game comments, I’m not that confident that Kendrick will be cleared. “I will sit back and we will revisit the situation once I have a chance to evaluate it,” Kennedy said.
In case you’ve forgotten, Kendrick is a former McDonald’s all-american that was kicked off of the Memphis team before he ever played a game for the Tigers as a result of his behavior, which included a couple of altercations with teammates.
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Seven takeaways from Las Vegas for the final AAU weekend of 2014 0
- One college coach’s unique connection to the Peach Jam 0
- July Live Period Week Three Superlatives 0
- Skal Labissiere is considering Europe, but that doesn’t mean there’s a market for him 0
- AAU Nationals Saturday Recap: Raymond Spalding has upside, Trent Forrest and Gary Trent, Jr. perform at a high level 0
- Las Vegas Friday Recap: Jaylen Brown, Kobi Simmons among standouts 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status (2)
- The latest allegations against Doug Wojcik involve a physical confrontation (2)