Mar 3, 2012, 7:39 PM EDT
Our old friend Jelan Kendrick was back in the news Saturday afternoon.
Minutes before tip-off in Mississippi’s 60-51 win against Alabama, Kendrick — while in uniform — walked into the stands to get his girlfriend before leaving the arena. He eventually returned, making it back to the end of the Ole Miss bench at some point during the first half, but he never left the seat. Not for team huddles. Not for warmups in the second half.
Now, we have yet to get word why Kendrick thought it would be a good idea to ditch his team before a game started. And before we all destroy Kendrick for this move, remember that athletes are people, too. They have to deal with the same kind of pressing emergencies as the rest of us. So until we get official word on why he left or what the ramifications will be, we should digest this news with a grain of salt.
But based on Andy Kennedy’s post-game comments, I’m not that confident that Kendrick will be cleared. “I will sit back and we will revisit the situation once I have a chance to evaluate it,” Kennedy said.
In case you’ve forgotten, Kendrick is a former McDonald’s all-american that was kicked off of the Memphis team before he ever played a game for the Tigers as a result of his behavior, which included a couple of altercations with teammates.
- Auburn will not appeal Bruce Pearl’s show-cause penalty 2
- Kentucky freshman Julius Randle has formally declared for the NBA Draft 0
- ACC’s league schedule highlights the flaws of massive power conferences 4
- Report: Tennessee hires Southern Miss coach Donnie Tyndall 1
- Rice transfer Sean Obi commits to Duke 1
- Adam Silver says raising NBA’s age limit a top priority 6
- NCAA council aims to change immediate eligibility waiver policy 0
- #UMassUnited: Thousands show to support Derrick Gordon during Westboro Baptist Church protest (18)
- Reports: Missouri’s Frank Haith agrees to take the Tulsa job (11)
- Jabari Parker is headed to the NBA (9)
- Report: New Mexico State’s Sim Bhullar to enter 2014 NBA Draft (7)
- Former Marquette commits Ahmed Hill, Satchel Pierce follow Buzz Williams to Virginia Tech (7)