Mar 6, 2012, 11:48 PM EST
It’s not uncommon for South Dakota State to score 52 points in a half. But even a rough offensive night wasn’t enough to keep the Jackrabbits from claiming its first bid to the NCAA tournament.
A 52-50 overtime victory against Western Illinois in the Summit League championship marked the Jackrabbits’ lowest point total of the season, but much of that credit is due to the Leathernecks’ fantastic defense. Open shots were not common.
(Yes, it was Jackrabbits vs. Leathernecks. Yes, That’s awesome.)
South Dakota State hit just 35 percent of its field-goal attempts, enduring a brutal night from its star scoring guard, Nate Wolters. The 6-4 junior averages 21.5 points per game, but made just five of 22 shots and finished with 14 points. Indeed, he didn’t even make a basket in the final 7:23.
Instead, it was teammates Chad White (two 3-pointers, one that came in OT) and Griffan Callahan (clutch free throws at the end of regulation that tied it up, then the game-winning 3-pointer in OT) who hit the clutch baskets at the end.
Now the Jackrabbits (27-7) enter the Big Dance as one of the unknown teams that people should know more about. They’ve beaten Washington and Buffalo and finished right on the heels of regular-season Summit League champ Oral Roberts, which only ran off a 13-game win streak this season.
But there’s a reason they’re an unknown. South Dakota State’s only been a D-I team for five seasons and has played on national TV twice, including Tuesday night. Jackrabitts might not sound scary, but they are.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 0
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 1
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 0
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)