Mar 8, 2012, 1:28 PM EST
Three weeks ago, referee Karl Hess ejected NC State legends Tom Gugliotta and Chris Corchiani from a game against Florida State.
As you might imagine, the reaction from the Wolfpack faithful was somewhat vitriolic. He wasn’t exactly the most popular guy in the state of North Carolina, and he had some issues at the ACC offices as well.
The conference publicly reprimanded him, and while a tongue-lashing isn’t exactly the harshest of punishments, there were tangible repercussions. Hess was taken off of the list of referees to be used in the ACC Tournament. That’ll be felt in the bank account.
Hess does have the support of his colleagues, however. The referees working the game have tape on their shoes with the letters KH written on them.
(Image via Joe Ovies)
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 20 Most Improved Players 1
- College Hoops Week in Review: Wisconsin’s for real, and so is Chaz Williams 0
- Former Rutgers player Derrick Randall sues school over Mike Rice’s actions 2
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings 0
- Maurice Creek, George Washington proving to be a match made in heaven 0
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)