Mar 8, 2012, 5:08 PM EST
No. 18 San Diego State sports the Mountain West player of the year in Jamaal Franklin. So when the top seed in the conference tourney’s top seed found itself tied with Boise State with seconds remaining, here’s what Aztecs coach Steve Fisher told his team:
Franklin nailed an off-balance 3-ponter at the buzzer, giving SDSU a 65-62 win in its tournament opener and avoiding early exits that other top seeds suffered during the last week. Franklin finished with 19 points.
The shot came as a relief to an Aztec (25-6) team that blew an 8-point lead in the final three minutes, as Boise State took advantage of two SDSU turnovers to make it close. But thanks to Franklin and a little luck, they’re off to the MWC semifinals where they’ll play the TCU-Colorado State winner on Friday.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Players 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Player of the Year Power Rankings 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Top 20 Most Improved Players 2
- College Hoops Week in Review: Wisconsin’s for real, and so is Chaz Williams 1
- Professor at center of UNC’s academic fraud case to face felony charges (8)
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Duke doesn’t need Rasheed Sulaimon if they have three guys that fit into a role (2)