Mar 10, 2012, 12:07 AM EST
Colorado State entered the Mountain West tournament in good shape with regards to reaching the NCAA tournament. And after the Rams’ 79-69 loss to No. 18 San Diego State in tonight’s semifinals that thought shouldn’t change for Tim Miles’ team, as their resume is good enough to keep them in the field.
Through Thursday’s action, which included their 81-60 win over TCU, the Rams (20-11) had an RPI of 21 and an overall strength of schedule of 5 (non-conference SOS: 27). All three of Colorado State’s three RPI Top 50 wins came at the expense of the top three teams in the Mountain West, and their worst loss this season came at Boise State.
This season has been a surprising one for those who looked at CSU’s roster and wondered what they would do to account for the loss of starting forwards Travis Franklin and Andy Ogide. Simply put, interior players who would be considered to be small in any conference have stepped up.
Pierce Hornung, a tough as nails forward who provides all the intangibles for this team, and Will Bell have worked hard night in and night out. Of course not having Greg Smith tonight due to an ankle injury didn’t help as SDSU out-rebounded the Rams 38-25, and his status going forward will be something to keep an eye on.
But they hung with the top seed for much of the night, and their refusal to lie down has served them well all season long. Add in a talented backcourt led by Wes Eikmeier and Dorian Green with Jesse Carr coming off the bench and you’ve got a team that’s not only earned their way into the Big Dance but won’t go gently into the night once they get there.
Don’t make the mistake of mixing Colorado State in with the bubble teams hoping for help heading into Selection Sunday. They’ve done what they had to do.
- Bubble Banter: Oregon lands a key win, but Purdue, Stanford and Pitt lose 0
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 5
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 4
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 3
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 1
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (13)
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)