Mar 11, 2012, 7:06 PM EST
The Tar Heels, despite losing in the final of the ACC Tournament, earned themselves the No. 1 seed in the Midwest region. They will play the winner of Lamar and Vermont, who will play in the First Four.
With a win, UNC will advance to take on the winner of No. 8 Creighton and No. 9 Alabama. The No. 5 seed will be Temple, and they will be getting the play-in game winner of Cal and South Florida. Perhaps the most intriguing matchup of the first round in the midwest will be No. 4 Michigan, who is taking on No. 13 seed Ohio.
At the bottom of the bracket, No. 2 Kansas is going to have their hands full against No. 15 Detroit. If the Jayhawks get by the Titans, they’ll be forced to take on the winner of No. 7 St. Mary’s and No. 10 Purdue. Georgetown got the No. 3 seed in the midwest and will be playing No. 14 Belmont while No. 6 San Diego State gets No. 11 NC State in the opening round.
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Two losses in a row? Three in 11 days? Oh well. Don’t give up on Kansas just yet 2
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)