Mar 11, 2012, 3:21 PM EDT
Vanderbilt just gave the rest of the NCAA tournament field some hope.
The Commodores took down No. 1 Kentucky 71-64 in the SEC tournament title, denying the ‘Cats a chance to sweep the league’s regular-season and tourney titles, not to mention taking some of the sheen off the nation’s most dominant team. Kentucky entered the game with 24 consecutive wins.
It took some doing, though.
Vandy (24-10) got 18 points from Jeff Taylor, 15 from John Jenkins (who struggled with his shot) and 17 points and six rebounds from senior center Festus Ezeli, who was awfully effective against Kentucky’s Anthony Davis, who has 12 points and 10 rebounds, but wasn’t a factor late. Same could be said for the rest of UK, though. It didn’t make a basket in the final eight minutes and couldn’t match Vandy’s 17-5 run in that span.
“We played really tough. Our guys played hard-nosed and played really well,” coach Kevin Stallings told CBS afterward said . “We played great on the defensive end. When they made their runs, we responded. I’m very proud of our guys.”
Did Kentucky (32-2) need the win to regain focus for the NCAA tournament? Is there some pressure taken off the Wildcats’ shoulders? It didn’t play its best during the last three days, beating LSU by nine and Florida by three. But that seems more like tired legs rather than a lack of motivation or overconfidence.
And give credit to Vandy. It was more composed down the stretch and showcased some defense some weren’t sure the Commodores could play.
“We’re just happy to win. You don’t get a chance to play for championships very often,” Stallings said. We’re just happy to win.”
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:47 PM EDT
Four-star point guard Payton Pritchard is going to explore his options heading into the July live evaluation period.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:25 PM EDT
Northwestern continues to get good local pick-ups in the 2016 class.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:30 PM EDT
La Salle is losing an experienced guard to transfer.
Jul 6, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
One of Tennessee’s only options at point guard is enrolling closer to the school year.
Jul 6, 2015, 5:45 PM EDT
One of the better shooting guards in the country is focused on 10 schools.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Michigan is going with the Jumpman under its new apparel agreement.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:48 PM EDT
Kentucky had led the nation in average attendance for eight straight years.
Jul 6, 2015, 1:32 PM EDT
The top three in this group is debatable.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Jonathan Isaac is loaded with potential.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
The front of the jersey said Kansas before.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:13 AM EDT
Two of the nation’s best high schoolers square off.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:03 PM EDT
Thibodeaux’s decision came eight days after he began basic training.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:05 PM EDT
All of the violations were deemed to be Level III or Level IV violations, which isn’t a big deal at all.
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Plenty of college basketball players were in the FIBA U19 World Championships besides the Americans.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:37 PM EDT
The USA U19 team captured back-to-back FIBA World Championships for the first time since 1983.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Mississippi State landed a commitment on Sunday from a transfer.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Kansas (USA) is 2-0 so far at the World University Games.
Jul 5, 2015, 9:20 AM EDT
Markelle Fultz is one the best guard prospects in the country.
Jul 4, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
Mathiang’s playing on an Australian team that includes the likes of Peter Hooley and Hugh Greenwood.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
The 6-foot-9 Henry averaged 6.0 points and 3.6 rebounds per game last season.
- Re-ranking Recruiting Classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2009? 1
- Florida State lands commitment from five-star 2016 prospect 0
- USA U19 team wins in overtime of gold-medal game over Croatia at FIBA World Championships 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Bill Self impresses South Korean students with jumper (VIDEO) (3)
- Michigan basketball will change to Jordan Brand from adidas as school announces new Nike deal (3)
- Senior mixtape of 7-foot-6 UCF incoming freshman Tacko Fall (VIDEO) (2)
- Rick Barnes finally addresses accusations against Texas (2)
- Steph Curry misses a dunk staring at his phone, runs to camera to see it (VIDEO) (2)