Mar 12, 2012, 8:59 PM EDT
College basketball’s most dominant player is the reason there’s an overwhelming favorite to win it all.
The player is Brittney Griner. The team is Baylor.
What? You thought I was talking about Kentucky? The ‘Cats are good, but they’re not nearly as dominant as the Lady Bears have been this season. They’re 34-0, the No 1 overall seed in the tournament and will enter the event with a simple philosophy: Anything less than a title is a failure.
“Our simple goal is to win a national championship,” coach Kim Mulkey said.
With Griner as the anchor, it should happen.
She’s coming off a Big 12 tournament record performance – 45 points, 10 rebounds, seven blocks, four assists –which showcased her incredible physical gifts and her aggressive mentality. The 6-8 center is quick, dexterous and wants to destroy opponents.
She was happy about the points, but told ESPN’s Mechelle Voepel that “it would have been sweeter if it was 45 blocks.”
She’s scary, but not so scary that the rest of the women’s field (Stanford, UConn and Notre Dame are the other No. 1 seeds) is trembling.
“Well last year at this time I don’t think anyone thought Texas A&M was going to win either,” Stanford coach Tara VanDerveer said. “Baylor has had a great year. I think that Brittney Griner is a great player, she’s a tremendous talent. We know that every team is beatable. I hope we have a chance to play them. We want to go as far as we can. If that means playing Baylor, we’ll be ready.”
To which I say, good luck. You’ll need it.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 0
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 1
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games