Mar 13, 2012, 5:35 PM EDT
Sometimes a lovable bulldog mascot is good mojo for a Final Four run. Tough luck for Georgetown.
The Hoyas, a 3 seed in the Midwest Region, won’t have Jack, its bulldog mascot because it’s hurt. Father Christopher Steck, the dog’s keeper, sent out this tweet earlier:
“Dang… Jack has torn his dog ‘ACL’! Surgery probably; 2 mo. recovery. Happened Sunday; likely from jumping on couch. He’s limping badly.”
Jack can’t navigate stairs and needed to be carried when he was at the team’s recent Selection Sunday activities.
According to D.C. Sports Bog, Jack, 8, usually only travels to closer games, which means the first round in Columbus, Ohio, probably wasn’t in the works. Still, it’s a bummer for tournament time. Who doesn’t love a dog that runs onto the court and earns wild applause?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 8
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1