Mar 13, 2012, 2:31 PM EDT
Ben Howland isn’t going anywhere. Despite a 19-14 season that included an NCAA tournament miss, the dismissal of top player Reeves Nelson and an unflattering report by Sports Illustrated, the school announced that he’ll return as coach for the 2012-13 season.
“Subsequent to these conversations, and in consultation with Chancellor Block, I have made the decision that the UCLA men’s basketball program will remain under Coach Howland’s leadership and direction,” Athletic director Dan Guerrero said in a statement.
Guerrero says he had numerous discussions with Howland before making the decision.
Howland’s current contract runs through the 2014-15 season.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronkowski 'probably' needs back surgery, too
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness