Mar 13, 2012, 8:12 PM EDT
Here’s a tweet that could cause a ruckus.
Ryan Burr, host of ESPN’s College Basketball Final, had this on his Twitter account following the news that Syracuse center Fab Melo won’t be in the NCAA tournament because of eligibility issues and is likely to turn pro:
“Message 2 Nerelins Noel,” the nation’s No. 1 recruit, on twitter asking him how he would “like to be in the middle of the zone” with Fab Melo now turning pro.
The tweet has since been removed (there’s a screen shot below), but it references Nerlens Noel, who’s trying to settle on a school for 2012. The Orange and Kentucky are rumored to be his top two choices.
Did Burr, a Syracuse grad, mess things up for his school? Remains to be seen. There would’ve been a huge ruckus is Burr would’ve sent the message to Noel or if Burr is a booster deemed to have made “contact” with Noel. Those are NCAA no-nos.
This might not get Syracuse in trouble, but there’s a reason the tweet was removed. Don’t mess with the NCAA rules when it comes to recruiting. Nothing rankles the NCAA more. (Except later lying about it).
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Jamal Murray’s commitment a huge boost for Kentucky (4)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)