Mar 13, 2012, 8:12 PM EDT
Here’s a tweet that could cause a ruckus.
Ryan Burr, host of ESPN’s College Basketball Final, had this on his Twitter account following the news that Syracuse center Fab Melo won’t be in the NCAA tournament because of eligibility issues and is likely to turn pro:
“Message 2 Nerelins Noel,” the nation’s No. 1 recruit, on twitter asking him how he would “like to be in the middle of the zone” with Fab Melo now turning pro.
The tweet has since been removed (there’s a screen shot below), but it references Nerlens Noel, who’s trying to settle on a school for 2012. The Orange and Kentucky are rumored to be his top two choices.
Did Burr, a Syracuse grad, mess things up for his school? Remains to be seen. There would’ve been a huge ruckus is Burr would’ve sent the message to Noel or if Burr is a booster deemed to have made “contact” with Noel. Those are NCAA no-nos.
This might not get Syracuse in trouble, but there’s a reason the tweet was removed. Don’t mess with the NCAA rules when it comes to recruiting. Nothing rankles the NCAA more. (Except later lying about it).
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Led by senior forward Alan Williams, UCSB capable of earning first NCAA tournament bid since 2011 0
- Behind Thompson and Comer, Dunk City looks to take flight once again this March 1
- Stony Brook works toward NCAA appearance after DII transition 0
- Syracuse officials to meet NCAA Committee on Infractions later this month 0
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Texas A&M gets a tough guard, St. John’s big weekend, Xavier’s intriguing fit 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Key assistant coaching hires 0
- 2014-15 America East Preview: Does Stony Brook finally make the Tournament? 0
- Big Ten writers release media poll, Wisconsin sits atop the league (6)
- Has Maryland found a new starting center? (2)
- First Preseason Top 25 poll is out, Kentucky sits at No. 1 (2)
- Maryland senior forward suffers sprained ankle (2)
- 2014-2015 Northeast Conference Preview: Is it time for Robert Morris to dance again? (1)