Mar 14, 2012, 12:24 AM EDT
In the first 16 minutes Iona scored 55 points. The Gaels had 17 assists and 3 turnovers, and led the BYU Cougars by 24 (two minutes earlier they had led by 25). The announcers couldn’t resist questioning how Iona would match up on Thursday with No. 3 seed Marquette.
In the next 24 minutes they turned the ball over 15 times and scored 17 points.
Meanwhile, BYU, played a consistent game. It scored 40 in the first half. It scored 38 in the second half. With 2:28 Noah Hartsock made a three and BYU took their first lead of the game. And at that point, Iona was done. The Cougars outscored them 8-2 down the stretch and won 78-72.
For those keeping score, that’s a 47-17 run to finish the game and a 25-point deficit that was overcome.
For the 2nd time in two games, the NCAA First Four featured an epic comeback.
Everything the Gaels did well in the first half, they did poorly in the 2nd half. Early, they consistently got into transition which led to easy buckets. After Iona got to 55 points by making 65% of their 2s, it was easy to see why only one team in the nation has shot better on the interior than the Gaels. They ran. They moved the ball. They got layups. It all looked too easy.
In the 2nd half Iona suddenly went stagnant against BYU’s zone. They rarely got into transition. And their half court sets were flat. It was unclear if they were trying to burn clock, or if they just couldn’t figure out the angles to attack.
BYU’s Noah Hartsock led all scorers with 23 points on 10 of 14 shooting. Brandon Davies added 18 points and 15 rebounds.
Scott Machado, in his final game at Iona, finished with 15 points and 10 assists.
Now BYU advances to play No. 3 seed Marquette on Thursday.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The top four players remain the same.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:19 PM EDT
The redshirt junior has not played since January 2014.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
The rising sophomore was originally being blocked from transferring to 55 schools.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:08 PM EDT
Ohio State begins its 2017 class with a local product.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led USA Basketball with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:03 PM EDT
Given Oregon’s many perimeter options, minutes were likely to be at a premium for Rorie in 2015-16.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:10 PM EDT
A lot of unranked players made their way into the top five in a surprisingly deep class.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Jalen Brunson led four Americans in double figures with 17 points.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
Minnesota is one of four schools the 6-foot-10 center is reportedly considering.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT
The lone school to host the Georgia native on an official visit is considered to be the favorite in this recruiting race.
Jul 2, 2015, 7:40 PM EDT
Oregon still has a date to fill (December 29), which the school expects to be filled by an in-state opponent.
Jul 2, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
This is nasty.
Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
The Class of 2007 produced some very good players, including one who’s an NBA MVP and others who have developed into perennial all-stars.
Jul 2, 2015, 2:53 PM EDT
I’m a big fan of these, particularly the dark grey ones.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:43 PM EDT
Cell phone addiction is a national crisis.
Jul 2, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT
Can anyone guess what that moment is?
Jul 2, 2015, 10:09 AM EDT
This is something else.
Jul 2, 2015, 9:27 AM EDT
The Golden Bears should still be alright this season.
Jul 1, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Dillard becomes Oklahoma State’s fourth addition to the program.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)