Mar 14, 2012, 2:59 PM EDT
Let’s be honest: Cal vs. South Florida tonight won’t be for everyone. In fact, it may just turn you off basketball for the night.
Cal (24-9) emphasizes defense through physical play, led by Pac-12 player of the year Jorge Gutierrez. The Bears won’t dominate you, but they’re not a team to be overlooked. But they’ve had plenty of issues this season and have lost three of their last four games, often in ugly fashion.
That’s music to South Florida’s ears.
If there’s a team in the NCAA tournament that wants to slow everything down and use defense to completely dominate a game, it’s the Bulls. Nothing they do is pretty.
“That’s what we want to do,” coach Stan Heath said on Tuesday. “We want to disrupt you. We want to smell your breath. We want to get underneath your skin. We want to make life miserable for you.”
So. Expect a slow game (probably less than 60 possessions) with a strong emphasis on defense. No team in a South Florida game has topped 60 points in eight games. Cal’s done that just twice in its last four.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Four-star Class of 2016 guard Bruce Brown gave up football to focus on basketball 0
- Seven (more) Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 0
- Seven Takeaways from Nike’s Peach Jam 1
- Skipping college makes Emmanuel Mudiay the most important player in 2014 class (5)
- Study says Louisville has the best fanbase for second straight season (4)
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (4)
- Indiana’s summer workouts look intense (VIDEO) (4)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (4)