Mar 14, 2012, 2:59 PM EST
Let’s be honest: Cal vs. South Florida tonight won’t be for everyone. In fact, it may just turn you off basketball for the night.
Cal (24-9) emphasizes defense through physical play, led by Pac-12 player of the year Jorge Gutierrez. The Bears won’t dominate you, but they’re not a team to be overlooked. But they’ve had plenty of issues this season and have lost three of their last four games, often in ugly fashion.
That’s music to South Florida’s ears.
If there’s a team in the NCAA tournament that wants to slow everything down and use defense to completely dominate a game, it’s the Bulls. Nothing they do is pretty.
“That’s what we want to do,” coach Stan Heath said on Tuesday. “We want to disrupt you. We want to smell your breath. We want to get underneath your skin. We want to make life miserable for you.”
So. Expect a slow game (probably less than 60 possessions) with a strong emphasis on defense. No team in a South Florida game has topped 60 points in eight games. Cal’s done that just twice in its last four.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Late Night Snacks: No. 7 Arizona, No. 11 Wichita State and No. 19 Baylor among Saturday’s big winners 1
- Did Gonzaga cost themselves a No. 1 seed with loss to BYU? 2
- Kaleb Tarczewski produces another quality outing as No. 7 Arizona beats No. 13 Utah 0
- Bubble Banter: Boise State, St. John’s, Dayton win the day; Texas, N.C. State lose; and Kansas State? 2
- No. 1 Kentucky moves to 29-0 with blowout win over No. 18 Arkansas 1
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- You Make the Call: Was Texas guard Isaiah Taylor fouled on this drive? (10)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)