Mar 14, 2012, 10:12 AM EST
If you want to win your NCAA tournament pool, don’t pick Kentucky to win it all. OK, pick the ‘Cats. Everyone else is. But if you do that, make sure you do something slightly nuts, such as placing New Mexico State or Belmont or some other longshot to reach the Sweet 16 or even the Final Four.
According to Michael Weimerskirch, a math professor at Augsburg College, your bracket has to have to something that sets it apart from the others who try to make all the smart picks. Why be like everyone else when winning is simply a matter of being a little different.
Otherwise, you’re trying to pick a perfect bracket. And that ain’t happening.
But there’s this small glimmer of hope. Weimerskirch says you could simply start flipping coins. The odds of finding perfection that way – by flipping a coin to pick the winner of every game: 1-in-100,000,000,000,000,000,000. For those keeping score at home, that’s 1-in-100 million trillion.
Or, to put it another way: “You’re just as likely to win Powerball three consecutive times as you are to picking a perfect bracket by flipping a coin,” Weimerskirch says.
Wait. So I could win the Powerball three consecutive times? Why am I wasting all my time on this bracket?
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Quinn Cook is thriving as an off-guard, and No. 4 Duke will reap the benefits 0
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska, 66-62, in overtime 0
- Lauren Hill surprises teammates, fans with another layup in her second college game (VIDEO) 2
- The ‘Chaminade Crew’ and how Jonathan Holmes has changed the culture of Texas hoops 0
- Early struggles of Syracuse, Kaleb Joseph example of the downside of early entry 2
- UPDATE: Texas loses starting point guard to left wrist injury, out 4-6 weeks 0
- Burning Questions: Who’s poised to surprise (or disappoint) people in the Big Ten? 2
- Poll: 54 percent of people think Kentucky beats the 76ers, 54 percent of people are dumb (31)
- No. 1 Kentucky’s size, depth overwhelms No. 5 Kansas, makes 40-0 seem possible? (5)
- No. 1 Kentucky survives Buffalo despite ugly effort offensively (4)
- Pregame Shootaround: No. 14 Iowa State needs to be on upset alert tonight (3)
- Miami upsets No. 8 Florida thanks to the Angel Rodriguez takeover (3)