Mar 16, 2012, 10:01 AM EST
With day one in the books, we’re really nowhere near our quota for drama for the first first/second round of the NCAA Tournament. Hopefully there’s plenty more to come with an excellent Friday that sets us up for a fantastic slate of games on Sunday.
For that to happen, though, we’re going to need to get rid of the riff-raft.
Ugly, low-possession basketball is pervading the sport. So to limit our chances of seeing this type of play as the tournament goes on, let’s collectively root against some teams that play sometimes un-watchable basketball.
If you like fun, and teams that know how to keep a basketball game moving at an acceptable pace, then you’re going to want to the following four teams eliminated today.
- Virginia – Not only are the Cavaliers boring (second in the country in defensive points-per-possession and points -per-game) but they are the one true hurdle preventing Missouri and Florida – ranked No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, in KenPom.com’s adjusted offense efficiency – from squaring off against one another in the third-round of the NCAA Tournament. That would be fun to watch. No, actually it would be absolutely awesome to watch. With scoring slowing declining year-over-year in college hoops, fans deserve to be treated to what will likely be a high scoring, guard oriented game. Tony Bennett’s club had a nice season, an overachieving season, but they’re just not cool enough to keep partying at this dance. We don’t need a team that can hold a Drexel to just 35-points marching on into the weekend.
- Alabama – As part of an up-and-down season, the Crimson Tide reached the 70-point mark only once in their last 12 games. That was against Arkansas, so it shouldn’t even really count. Offensive-minded fans don’t want to see this team advance, because not only would it mean that the win came over Creighton, it would mean that Doug McDermott probably had a bad game. Even worse, it would prevent us from Doug McDermott play again until November, and that’s simply not unfair. We need more than just one game of Doug McDermott. The local media isn’t glossing over Alabama’s offensive inferences, but for some reason players aren’t that concerned, and head coach Anthony Grant says the team’s game against the BlueJays is about playing to strengths. I appreciate the positive thinking, but sometimes you gotta be able to keep up on the offensive end and the Crimson Tide have had problems doing just that.
- South Florida – Whether or not you think this team deserved an NCAA Tournament berth, they’re a really nice story, but boy are they excruciating to watch. The Bulls breed more boring basketball than I know what to do with, and their fans have every right to call me out for that statement. Why? Well their approach works, as Stan Heath has gotten this program to their first tourney appearance in 20 years because of sound defense and a we-don’t-care-who-scores offense. The third slowest team in the country, and ranked 326th in scoring, the Bulls don’t try and score more points than their opponent, they try to get their opponent to score less points than them. I wish this team the best, but will happily look for a different game when they’re on the tube.
- Notre Dame – If my reaction to Notre Dame’s approach to basketball was a movable GIF, it would be this. Xavier may have slipped a bit in the rootabiltiy index as part of the fallout from the Crosstown Brawl but, ugh, do you really want the prodding Fighting Irish to advance? Not only would we be subjected to their gimmick offense for another game, but it would likely be against Duke! These are like the two most hated athletic programs in the country. The pretentiousness would be billowing out of our flat-screens! I’m already nauseous thinking about it. Oh man somebody get me a cool towel to damp my face.
Follow Nick Fasulo on Twitter @billyedelinSBN
- No. 11 Wichita State wins the Missouri Valley by knocking off No. 10 Northern Iowa 0
- Bubble Banter: St. John’s with a huge win, N.C. State with an ugly loss 1
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 5
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 1
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 12
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Vanderbilt head coach Kevin Stallings apologizes for postgame outburst directed at freshman guard Wade Baldwin IV (9)