Mar 16, 2012, 1:34 PM EDT
According to ESPN, UAB has fired head coach Mike Davis following their 15-16 2011-12 campaign. Davis had one year remaining on his contract, and in six seasons at the school Davis posted a record of 122-73.
The wins and losses weren’t the issue for Davis, who led the Blazers to a Conference USA regular season title and an NCAA tournament appearance last season.
In the above piece Davis stated that the reason he was given was the dwindling attendance at Bartow Arena. According to the NCAA’s numbers from 2011, UAB averaged 5,167 fans in 16 home dates, and that was for a team that won 22 games.
The question now is who will UAB look to in filling the position, and CBS Sports’ Gary Parrish mentioned current Ole Miss head coach Andy Kennedy as a possibility.
Kennedy, who is 125-78 in six seasons in Oxford, is a UAB alumnus and played under the great Gene Bartow. Without an NCAA appearance in Oxford, maybe the task of luring Kennedy back to Birmingham becomes a little easier.
Most importantly bringing an alum “back home” could be just what the program needs to energize a fan base that sorely needs a boost. The Blazers lose just one senior of note this season but it’s a big loss as it’s leading scorer and rebounder Cameron Moore.
- John Calipari can be a great coach with being an x’s-and-o’s mastermind 4
- Louisville’s Terry Rozier is ready for his bigger role this season 1
- Expectations have changed for Nebraska after surprise run to 2014 NCAA tournament 0
- John Calipari on whether Kentucky will use platoons this season: ‘I think so’ 3
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 1
- Austin Hatch, who twice survived plane crashes, plays for Michigan 0
- Kentucky loses final game of Bahamas tour, Jack Martinez hits game-winner for Dominican Republic (VIDEO) 0
- John Calipari calls Mike Francesa’s radio show to complain about a critique (AUDIO) (7)
- Rupp Arena ranked college hoops’ best home venue, Cameron Indoor 31st? (6)
- Northern Illinois unveils its new basketball floor (PHOTO) (5)
- Former Vanderbilt player releasing book exposing sex, drugs and parties in college basketball (4)
- Indiana lands a final piece in their 2014 recruiting class (4)