Mar 16, 2012, 1:34 PM EDT
According to ESPN, UAB has fired head coach Mike Davis following their 15-16 2011-12 campaign. Davis had one year remaining on his contract, and in six seasons at the school Davis posted a record of 122-73.
The wins and losses weren’t the issue for Davis, who led the Blazers to a Conference USA regular season title and an NCAA tournament appearance last season.
In the above piece Davis stated that the reason he was given was the dwindling attendance at Bartow Arena. According to the NCAA’s numbers from 2011, UAB averaged 5,167 fans in 16 home dates, and that was for a team that won 22 games.
The question now is who will UAB look to in filling the position, and CBS Sports’ Gary Parrish mentioned current Ole Miss head coach Andy Kennedy as a possibility.
Kennedy, who is 125-78 in six seasons in Oxford, is a UAB alumnus and played under the great Gene Bartow. Without an NCAA appearance in Oxford, maybe the task of luring Kennedy back to Birmingham becomes a little easier.
Most importantly bringing an alum “back home” could be just what the program needs to energize a fan base that sorely needs a boost. The Blazers lose just one senior of note this season but it’s a big loss as it’s leading scorer and rebounder Cameron Moore.
- How can Wichita State build on the two best years in program history? 0
- Junior college prospect Andre Spight working to improve point guard skills 0
- Duncan Robinson, of D-III Williams College, considering transfer to Michigan, Davidson 0
- UCLA’s Pauley Pavilion flooded after water main break on Sunset Boulevard (PHOTOS/VIDEOS) 0
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players 2
- The other side of the July live period: Recruits continue to strive for attention and offers 0
- Seven takeaways from AAU Nationals and Super Showcase 0
- Marcus Foster still hasn’t forgotten, or forgiven, those pulled scholarships (3)
- Two surprises after first cuts at Team USA U17 trials (3)
- John Calipari’s return to Kentucky ‘solely’ due to loyalty to his players (2)
- Report: Top Oregon recruit denied admission to school (2)
- Xavier’s new court design? Cincy’s skyline, but not chili (PHOTO) (2)