Mar 16, 2012, 1:34 PM EDT
According to ESPN, UAB has fired head coach Mike Davis following their 15-16 2011-12 campaign. Davis had one year remaining on his contract, and in six seasons at the school Davis posted a record of 122-73.
The wins and losses weren’t the issue for Davis, who led the Blazers to a Conference USA regular season title and an NCAA tournament appearance last season.
In the above piece Davis stated that the reason he was given was the dwindling attendance at Bartow Arena. According to the NCAA’s numbers from 2011, UAB averaged 5,167 fans in 16 home dates, and that was for a team that won 22 games.
The question now is who will UAB look to in filling the position, and CBS Sports’ Gary Parrish mentioned current Ole Miss head coach Andy Kennedy as a possibility.
Kennedy, who is 125-78 in six seasons in Oxford, is a UAB alumnus and played under the great Gene Bartow. Without an NCAA appearance in Oxford, maybe the task of luring Kennedy back to Birmingham becomes a little easier.
Most importantly bringing an alum “back home” could be just what the program needs to energize a fan base that sorely needs a boost. The Blazers lose just one senior of note this season but it’s a big loss as it’s leading scorer and rebounder Cameron Moore.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: UCF lands a unique center, Tennessee’s impact wing, Saint Louis gets rising center 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 6 Virginia Cavaliers 0
- 2014-15 Season Preview: College Basketball Dream Team 1
- VCU’s Treveon Graham: From lightly recruited to leader of Havoc, the Atlantic 10 favorites 0
- Top 25 Countdown: No. 7 North Carolina Tar Heels 1
- Dayton’s Elite 8 run, Archie Miller’s decision to stay help continue Atlantic 10’s success 1
- 2014-15 Season Preview: Jahlil Okafor, Frank Kaminsky lead a strong crop of big men 0
- Sophomore guard decides to leave Kansas program (5)
- Roy Williams says he was ‘dumbfounded’ following Kenneth Wainstein’s report (VIDEO) (2)
- Hawaii considering its options regarding NCAA investigation of basketball program (2)
- VCU’s band ‘The Peppas’ will be doing Haka War Chants this year (VIDEO) (2)
- Mark Emmert calls UNC scandal ‘troubling’, ‘disturbing’, ‘shocking’ (2)