Mar 16, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
We all know that Kentucky fans can be overly sensitive.
They are the most passionate fan base in the country, but it isn’t a secret that if you need a traffic bump on your website, you write something overwhelmingly negative about the Cats. They’ll crash your servers faster than you can say Kelenna Azubuike.
Perhaps the most insane example of Kentucky fans getting upset came this week, as Big Blue Nation got upset at UPS. For an ad. The anger made it all the way to the state government:
“I think it would be wise for them to pull the ad,” said state Sen. Ernie Harris, a UPS pilot, UK graduate and chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee.
The ad, which first ran Sunday during CBS’ Selection Sunday show that introduced the tournament field, features video of the winning shot by Duke University’s Christian Laettner in the 1992 East Regional over UK. The 104-103 result has been called the greatest college basketball game ever by some.
Harris said he voiced his displeasure to a lobbyist for UPS, which has a hub at Louisville International Airport.
But UPS plans to continue running the ad, and two spokesmen for the company said it was not meant as a slight to UK or its fans.
I mean, come on. This was one of, if not the greatest moments in the history of college basketball. Do Kentucky fans simply want us to forget it ever happened? Should the “Unforgettables” be renamed the “Unmentionables”?
My favorite part?
UPS tried to ingratiate themselves to Kentucky fans by having a Kentucky fan more or less apologize on their blog. (Click that link. Read the comments. You’re welcome.)
Life can never be simple in Lexington, apparently.
- Steady improvement turning Alize Johnson into valued Division I prospect 0
- Report: SMU’s Larry Brown up against ‘lack of coach control’ charge 0
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 2
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)
- United States wins bronze at Pan-Am Games (3)
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia (3)