Mar 16, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
We all know that Kentucky fans can be overly sensitive.
They are the most passionate fan base in the country, but it isn’t a secret that if you need a traffic bump on your website, you write something overwhelmingly negative about the Cats. They’ll crash your servers faster than you can say Kelenna Azubuike.
Perhaps the most insane example of Kentucky fans getting upset came this week, as Big Blue Nation got upset at UPS. For an ad. The anger made it all the way to the state government:
“I think it would be wise for them to pull the ad,” said state Sen. Ernie Harris, a UPS pilot, UK graduate and chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee.
The ad, which first ran Sunday during CBS’ Selection Sunday show that introduced the tournament field, features video of the winning shot by Duke University’s Christian Laettner in the 1992 East Regional over UK. The 104-103 result has been called the greatest college basketball game ever by some.
Harris said he voiced his displeasure to a lobbyist for UPS, which has a hub at Louisville International Airport.
But UPS plans to continue running the ad, and two spokesmen for the company said it was not meant as a slight to UK or its fans.
I mean, come on. This was one of, if not the greatest moments in the history of college basketball. Do Kentucky fans simply want us to forget it ever happened? Should the “Unforgettables” be renamed the “Unmentionables”?
My favorite part?
UPS tried to ingratiate themselves to Kentucky fans by having a Kentucky fan more or less apologize on their blog. (Click that link. Read the comments. You’re welcome.)
Life can never be simple in Lexington, apparently.
- Despite allegations Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 0
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 3
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 3
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights