Mar 16, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
We all know that Kentucky fans can be overly sensitive.
They are the most passionate fan base in the country, but it isn’t a secret that if you need a traffic bump on your website, you write something overwhelmingly negative about the Cats. They’ll crash your servers faster than you can say Kelenna Azubuike.
Perhaps the most insane example of Kentucky fans getting upset came this week, as Big Blue Nation got upset at UPS. For an ad. The anger made it all the way to the state government:
“I think it would be wise for them to pull the ad,” said state Sen. Ernie Harris, a UPS pilot, UK graduate and chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee.
The ad, which first ran Sunday during CBS’ Selection Sunday show that introduced the tournament field, features video of the winning shot by Duke University’s Christian Laettner in the 1992 East Regional over UK. The 104-103 result has been called the greatest college basketball game ever by some.
Harris said he voiced his displeasure to a lobbyist for UPS, which has a hub at Louisville International Airport.
But UPS plans to continue running the ad, and two spokesmen for the company said it was not meant as a slight to UK or its fans.
I mean, come on. This was one of, if not the greatest moments in the history of college basketball. Do Kentucky fans simply want us to forget it ever happened? Should the “Unforgettables” be renamed the “Unmentionables”?
My favorite part?
UPS tried to ingratiate themselves to Kentucky fans by having a Kentucky fan more or less apologize on their blog. (Click that link. Read the comments. You’re welcome.)
Life can never be simple in Lexington, apparently.
- EYBL Day 1: Jayson Tatum vs. Michael Porter Jr.; De’Aaron Fox, Jarred Vanderbilt go for big outings 0
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 14
- Providence announces return of point guard Kris Dunn for 2015-16 season 0
- Five-star guard Malik Newman commits to Mississippi State 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 0
- Oklahoma guard Buddy Hield returning for senior season 0
- Arizona forward Stanley Johnson enters 2015 NBA Draft 3
- Duke lands commitment from elite PG Derryck Thornton, who will reclass (18)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (14)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (10)
- Five members of Iowa State’s 2014-15 team have been arrested after two more arrests this week (9)
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (9)