Mar 16, 2012, 1:14 PM EST
We all know that Kentucky fans can be overly sensitive.
They are the most passionate fan base in the country, but it isn’t a secret that if you need a traffic bump on your website, you write something overwhelmingly negative about the Cats. They’ll crash your servers faster than you can say Kelenna Azubuike.
Perhaps the most insane example of Kentucky fans getting upset came this week, as Big Blue Nation got upset at UPS. For an ad. The anger made it all the way to the state government:
“I think it would be wise for them to pull the ad,” said state Sen. Ernie Harris, a UPS pilot, UK graduate and chairman of the Senate Transportation Committee.
The ad, which first ran Sunday during CBS’ Selection Sunday show that introduced the tournament field, features video of the winning shot by Duke University’s Christian Laettner in the 1992 East Regional over UK. The 104-103 result has been called the greatest college basketball game ever by some.
Harris said he voiced his displeasure to a lobbyist for UPS, which has a hub at Louisville International Airport.
But UPS plans to continue running the ad, and two spokesmen for the company said it was not meant as a slight to UK or its fans.
I mean, come on. This was one of, if not the greatest moments in the history of college basketball. Do Kentucky fans simply want us to forget it ever happened? Should the “Unforgettables” be renamed the “Unmentionables”?
My favorite part?
UPS tried to ingratiate themselves to Kentucky fans by having a Kentucky fan more or less apologize on their blog. (Click that link. Read the comments. You’re welcome.)
Life can never be simple in Lexington, apparently.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)