Mar 17, 2012, 6:15 PM EST
It looks like we now have some insight as to why Jamar Samuels was suspended.
Speaking to Austin Meek, a writer for the Topeka Capital-Journal, Samuels’ AAU coach Curtis Malone, who runs powerhouse program DC Assault, said that he was the reason Samuels was suspended and it was because he gave the senior some money.
“There hasn’t been anything extravagant or large lumps,” Malone said. “I don’t just give a kid money. It’s the same way when he played with DC Assault on road trips. When he didn’t have money to eat, he ate.”
Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com confirmed that it was a $200 wire transfer from Malone to Samuels. Malone said he was unaware of the rule.
“If I wanted to hide it, I would have done it differently,” he said. “He needed money to eat.”
Malone doesn’t believe that was he did was an impermissible benefit as he has a prior relationship with Samuels and his mother from their AAU days. Martin, who nearly broke down into tears after the game, went on record as saying that he didn’t believe that Samuels committed a violation.
Last October, Malone was in the news because another former player Michael Beasley had filed a lawsuit against him. Beasley claimed that Malone had conspired with agent Joel Bell to steer the player to Bell in exchange for bankrolling Malone’s AAU team.
I feel awful for Samuels. He was a senior. This was his final college basketball game ever. That hurts.
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)