Mar 17, 2012, 6:15 PM EDT
It looks like we now have some insight as to why Jamar Samuels was suspended.
Speaking to Austin Meek, a writer for the Topeka Capital-Journal, Samuels’ AAU coach Curtis Malone, who runs powerhouse program DC Assault, said that he was the reason Samuels was suspended and it was because he gave the senior some money.
“There hasn’t been anything extravagant or large lumps,” Malone said. “I don’t just give a kid money. It’s the same way when he played with DC Assault on road trips. When he didn’t have money to eat, he ate.”
Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com confirmed that it was a $200 wire transfer from Malone to Samuels. Malone said he was unaware of the rule.
“If I wanted to hide it, I would have done it differently,” he said. “He needed money to eat.”
Malone doesn’t believe that was he did was an impermissible benefit as he has a prior relationship with Samuels and his mother from their AAU days. Martin, who nearly broke down into tears after the game, went on record as saying that he didn’t believe that Samuels committed a violation.
Last October, Malone was in the news because another former player Michael Beasley had filed a lawsuit against him. Beasley claimed that Malone had conspired with agent Joel Bell to steer the player to Bell in exchange for bankrolling Malone’s AAU team.
I feel awful for Samuels. He was a senior. This was his final college basketball game ever. That hurts.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)