Mar 17, 2012, 6:15 PM EST
It looks like we now have some insight as to why Jamar Samuels was suspended.
Speaking to Austin Meek, a writer for the Topeka Capital-Journal, Samuels’ AAU coach Curtis Malone, who runs powerhouse program DC Assault, said that he was the reason Samuels was suspended and it was because he gave the senior some money.
“There hasn’t been anything extravagant or large lumps,” Malone said. “I don’t just give a kid money. It’s the same way when he played with DC Assault on road trips. When he didn’t have money to eat, he ate.”
Jeff Goodman of CBSSports.com confirmed that it was a $200 wire transfer from Malone to Samuels. Malone said he was unaware of the rule.
“If I wanted to hide it, I would have done it differently,” he said. “He needed money to eat.”
Malone doesn’t believe that was he did was an impermissible benefit as he has a prior relationship with Samuels and his mother from their AAU days. Martin, who nearly broke down into tears after the game, went on record as saying that he didn’t believe that Samuels committed a violation.
Last October, Malone was in the news because another former player Michael Beasley had filed a lawsuit against him. Beasley claimed that Malone had conspired with agent Joel Bell to steer the player to Bell in exchange for bankrolling Malone’s AAU team.
I feel awful for Samuels. He was a senior. This was his final college basketball game ever. That hurts.
- Harvard wraps up third consecutive NCAA tournament berth (VIDEO) 0
- Weekend Preview: The regular season comes to a close 1
- For the first time in months, No. 22 Michigan State and Keith Appling look healthy 4
- Senior starters once again carry No. 15 Cincinnati 0
- Doug McDermott’s career still missing most important part: His One Shining Moment 0
- Bryce Cotton, Providence’s marathon man, looking to lead the Friars on a run to the NCAA tournament 0
- Bubble Banter: Colorado, Dayton the day’s biggest winners 1
- Undefeated regular season says all we need to know about No. 2 Wichita State (9)
- No. 7 Syracuse falls to Georgia Tech in a shocking home loss (9)
- Finally at full strength, Michigan State sleepwalks through loss to Illinois (6)
- Kentucky hits rock bottom, loses at South Carolina (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest Top 25 (6)