Mar 18, 2012, 5:19 PM EDT
This should’ve been a fun season for every Syracuse fan, even for a cantankerous guy like Jim Boeheim.
But given the off-court distractions involving the school and coach, not to mention the added drama of center Fab Melo being ineligible for the NCAA tournament, and it’d be easy to understand why the Orange coach hasn’t quite enjoyed every bit of a 33-2 season.
The season continues this week when Syracuse faces Wisconsin in the Sweet 16. Perhaps Boeheim will be able to take a moment and enjoy it all. I mean, who doesn’t love their job when you’re as good at as it as Boeheim?
He’d be the one. From a John Feinstein column in the Washington Post:
“I have never enjoyed coaching,” he said. “I hope someday if I need an operation, when that doctor walks into the operating room he’s not there to enjoy himself.”
What about after the operation is a success?
For a moment he did actually smile. “If you have success, then you’re satisfied,” he said. “That’s completely different.” He paused for a moment. “I guess if you win a lot and you get a lot of satisfaction from the wins then maybe — maybe — you can enjoy it just a little.”
Boeheim’s probably overstating things, given he loves to play with the media as much as they try to prod and poke him. If the 67-year-old didn’t enjoy it, he would’ve quit by now. And he probably wouldn’t spend his summers coaching, either.
Besides, if he didn’t coach, he wouldn’t get to do stuff like this.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
(H/T: Sean Keeley)
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved 8
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California 9
- Sophomore center Willie Cauley-Stein returning to Kentucky 4
- Montrezl Harrell will be returning to Louisville for his junior season 0
- John Calipari reveals what ‘the tweak’ actually was 5
- More than 200,000 UConn fans show up for parade in Hartford (VIDEO/PHOTOS) 0
- Duke’s Jabari Parker will discuss options with Mike Krzyzewski next week 0
- UMass guard Derrick Gordon becomes first openly gay Division I basketball player (31)
- Lacey Holsworth, Adreian Payne’s eight-year-old friend, loses her battle with cancer (9)
- Report: Cuonzo Martin to become the new head coach at California (9)
- Cuonzo Martin and Tennessee parting ways is good for everyone involved (9)
- NCAA approves unlimited meals and snacks for Division I student-athletes (9)