Mar 18, 2012, 5:19 PM EDT
This should’ve been a fun season for every Syracuse fan, even for a cantankerous guy like Jim Boeheim.
But given the off-court distractions involving the school and coach, not to mention the added drama of center Fab Melo being ineligible for the NCAA tournament, and it’d be easy to understand why the Orange coach hasn’t quite enjoyed every bit of a 33-2 season.
The season continues this week when Syracuse faces Wisconsin in the Sweet 16. Perhaps Boeheim will be able to take a moment and enjoy it all. I mean, who doesn’t love their job when you’re as good at as it as Boeheim?
He’d be the one. From a John Feinstein column in the Washington Post:
“I have never enjoyed coaching,” he said. “I hope someday if I need an operation, when that doctor walks into the operating room he’s not there to enjoy himself.”
What about after the operation is a success?
For a moment he did actually smile. “If you have success, then you’re satisfied,” he said. “That’s completely different.” He paused for a moment. “I guess if you win a lot and you get a lot of satisfaction from the wins then maybe — maybe — you can enjoy it just a little.”
Boeheim’s probably overstating things, given he loves to play with the media as much as they try to prod and poke him. If the 67-year-old didn’t enjoy it, he would’ve quit by now. And he probably wouldn’t spend his summers coaching, either.
Besides, if he didn’t coach, he wouldn’t get to do stuff like this.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
(H/T: Sean Keeley)
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)