Mar 18, 2012, 5:19 PM EDT
This should’ve been a fun season for every Syracuse fan, even for a cantankerous guy like Jim Boeheim.
But given the off-court distractions involving the school and coach, not to mention the added drama of center Fab Melo being ineligible for the NCAA tournament, and it’d be easy to understand why the Orange coach hasn’t quite enjoyed every bit of a 33-2 season.
The season continues this week when Syracuse faces Wisconsin in the Sweet 16. Perhaps Boeheim will be able to take a moment and enjoy it all. I mean, who doesn’t love their job when you’re as good at as it as Boeheim?
He’d be the one. From a John Feinstein column in the Washington Post:
“I have never enjoyed coaching,” he said. “I hope someday if I need an operation, when that doctor walks into the operating room he’s not there to enjoy himself.”
What about after the operation is a success?
For a moment he did actually smile. “If you have success, then you’re satisfied,” he said. “That’s completely different.” He paused for a moment. “I guess if you win a lot and you get a lot of satisfaction from the wins then maybe — maybe — you can enjoy it just a little.”
Boeheim’s probably overstating things, given he loves to play with the media as much as they try to prod and poke him. If the 67-year-old didn’t enjoy it, he would’ve quit by now. And he probably wouldn’t spend his summers coaching, either.
Besides, if he didn’t coach, he wouldn’t get to do stuff like this.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
(H/T: Sean Keeley)
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Former Kansas State guard transferring to Creighton 0
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- Five-star Kentucky commit believes the NCAA will clear him to play (7)