Mar 18, 2012, 5:19 PM EDT
This should’ve been a fun season for every Syracuse fan, even for a cantankerous guy like Jim Boeheim.
But given the off-court distractions involving the school and coach, not to mention the added drama of center Fab Melo being ineligible for the NCAA tournament, and it’d be easy to understand why the Orange coach hasn’t quite enjoyed every bit of a 33-2 season.
The season continues this week when Syracuse faces Wisconsin in the Sweet 16. Perhaps Boeheim will be able to take a moment and enjoy it all. I mean, who doesn’t love their job when you’re as good at as it as Boeheim?
He’d be the one. From a John Feinstein column in the Washington Post:
“I have never enjoyed coaching,” he said. “I hope someday if I need an operation, when that doctor walks into the operating room he’s not there to enjoy himself.”
What about after the operation is a success?
For a moment he did actually smile. “If you have success, then you’re satisfied,” he said. “That’s completely different.” He paused for a moment. “I guess if you win a lot and you get a lot of satisfaction from the wins then maybe — maybe — you can enjoy it just a little.”
Boeheim’s probably overstating things, given he loves to play with the media as much as they try to prod and poke him. If the 67-year-old didn’t enjoy it, he would’ve quit by now. And he probably wouldn’t spend his summers coaching, either.
Besides, if he didn’t coach, he wouldn’t get to do stuff like this.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
(H/T: Sean Keeley)
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer 5
- North Carolina announces receipt of Notice of Allegations from NCAA 2
- LSU’s ’25 is coming’ campaign doesn’t try to hide that they’re monetizing Ben Simmons 1
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the American’s offseason 1
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue 8
- Friday’s most important rule changes only matter if refs actually enforce them 2
- Looking Forward: Catching up on the SEC’s offseason 1
- Sports book lists Maryland as early favorite to win national title (9)
- Five-star center Caleb Swanigan has committed to Purdue (8)
- John Calipari is selling his program when he says national title isn’t a goal (5)
- Frank Kaminsky writes a farewell letter to Wisconsin fans (5)
- Academic issues expected to sideline St. John’s point guard for fall semester, maybe longer (5)