Mar 19, 2012, 9:23 PM EDT
Butler’s days of being the big dog in the Horizon League may be over. The Bulldogs appear to be headed to the Atlantic 10 as the eventual replacement for Temple.
If you’re gonna replace the Owls with a school, Butler’s ideal for a college hoops-centric league.
The move’s been rumored for weeks – here’s the latest tweet regarding the news – and would give the hoops-proud program a bigger profile. A-10 teams play more games on national TV and feature schools in larger TV markets. NYC, Philadelphia, Washington (along with St. Louis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Charlotte) would be better than the Horizon’s cities of Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee and Cleveland.
The bigger bonus? The A-10 isn’t a one-bid league.
If Butler wins the Horizon, but stumbles in the conference tournament, it might have a long wait on Selection Sunday without a happy ending. The A-10 usually reduces those odds.
Just don’t expect Butler to dominate the A-10. The school features a strong college hoops focus, but it doesn’t spend like A-10 power Xavier. It doesn’t have the resources.
Still, this isn’t a team that needs money to thrive. We all learned that in 2010 and 2011.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2008? 1
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players in the Class of 2007? 0
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- South Carolina coach Frank Martin releases statement, asks for confederate flag removal (3)
- UCLA lands four-star center, second 2017 commitment (3)
- So what happened to the chair Bobby Knight threw in 1985? (3)
- Flooding from storm damages Denver’s practice floor (PHOTOS) (3)