Mar 19, 2012, 9:23 PM EST
Butler’s days of being the big dog in the Horizon League may be over. The Bulldogs appear to be headed to the Atlantic 10 as the eventual replacement for Temple.
If you’re gonna replace the Owls with a school, Butler’s ideal for a college hoops-centric league.
The move’s been rumored for weeks – here’s the latest tweet regarding the news – and would give the hoops-proud program a bigger profile. A-10 teams play more games on national TV and feature schools in larger TV markets. NYC, Philadelphia, Washington (along with St. Louis, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh and Charlotte) would be better than the Horizon’s cities of Chicago, Detroit, Milwaukee and Cleveland.
The bigger bonus? The A-10 isn’t a one-bid league.
If Butler wins the Horizon, but stumbles in the conference tournament, it might have a long wait on Selection Sunday without a happy ending. The A-10 usually reduces those odds.
Just don’t expect Butler to dominate the A-10. The school features a strong college hoops focus, but it doesn’t spend like A-10 power Xavier. It doesn’t have the resources.
Still, this isn’t a team that needs money to thrive. We all learned that in 2010 and 2011.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Maryland upsets No. 13 Iowa State as fearless freshmen mix with gritty veterans for balanced effort 3
- Rondae Hollis-Jefferson’s selflessness during the Maui Invitational will help No. 3 Arizona in the long run 0
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)
- Report: Gonzaga’s Josh Perkins broke his jaw (4)