Mar 20, 2012, 1:15 PM EDT
Syracuse guard Scoop Jardine made sure 4-year-old Shane Oliver would stay a fan for life.
Jardine’s been a fixture for the Orange four of the last five years – his missed 2008-09 with an injury – which might explain why Oliver was so distraught in this now viral video from a few weeks ago.
So when Jardine saw the video, he contacted Oliver’s mother, Audrey Barone, and arranged to meet the boy on Sunday after the team returned from its NCAA tournament games in Pittsburgh. On Oliver’s birthday.
Here’s what ensued:
Scoop, who was there along with ‘Cuse freshman Michael Carter-Williams, later tweeted “I just met that Lil boy that was crying about me graduating and leaving Syracuse. #happybdayshane”.
Oliver’s mother was delighted.
“Thank you so much for taking time to meet Shane today! And for the gifts, he loves them,” she tweeted.
Gotta say, a small part of me will be rooting for Jardine after that.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Next college hoops season will begin and end in Texas 0
- The key to recruiting Myles Turner: a good psychology department? 0
- Green Bay will retain head coach Brian Wardle 2
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 5
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ (5)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (4)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Bill Self, redshirts, and the Power of Andrew Wiggins (4)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?