Mar 20, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
Wake Forest guard Tony Chennault will transfer, the school announced Tuesday.
Chennault, a sophomore point guard, started all 31 games for the Demon Deacons in 2011-12. He says he wants to go to a Philadelphia school to be closer to his family.
He was their third-leader scorer (9.0 ppg) and its leader in assists (2.8).
“This was a tough decision to leave my teammates at this point in my career, but at the end of the day I have to do what’s best for me and my family,” Chennault said in a statement. “This was a personal choice that has nothing to do with basketball.
“I want to thank the Wake Forest community and Deacon fans for supporting us the past two seasons. I will always be a Deacon at heart and a part of the Wake Forest family.”
The bright side for Wake Forest, a program that’s had its share of issues under second-year coach Jeff Bzdelik? This clears the path for incoming freshman Cody Miller-McIntyre to start as a freshman.
Then again, Miller-McIntyre may have earned the starting job anyway. The 4-star prospect is the star of Wake’s incoming six-man recruiting class.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- 2014 American Athletic Conference Tournament Preview: Louisville looks to win its only year in the AAC 1
- NBCSports.com National Player of the Year: Doug McDermott, Creighton 2
- 2014 ACC Tournament Preview: Will a newcomer crash the party in Greensboro? 1
- NBCSports.com National Freshman of the Year: Jabari Parker, Duke 3
- Bracketology: Delaware, Manhattan, Wofford punch tickets 1
- 2014 SEC Tournament Preview: How will Kentucky, bubble teams fair? 1
- Joel Embiid out for Big 12 tournament, ‘longshot’ for NCAA tournament first weekend 1
- NBCSports.com’s 2014 College Basketball All-Americans (12)
- Wichita State will head into the NCAA tournament 34-0 as a No. 1 seed (12)
- Assigned Reading: Dean Smith’s health continues to deteriorate (6)
- No. 1 Florida’s undefeated SEC season not just a by-product of their league (6)
- South Carolina suspends Frank Martin for regular season finale at Mississippi State (5)