Mar 20, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
Wake Forest guard Tony Chennault will transfer, the school announced Tuesday.
Chennault, a sophomore point guard, started all 31 games for the Demon Deacons in 2011-12. He says he wants to go to a Philadelphia school to be closer to his family.
He was their third-leader scorer (9.0 ppg) and its leader in assists (2.8).
“This was a tough decision to leave my teammates at this point in my career, but at the end of the day I have to do what’s best for me and my family,” Chennault said in a statement. “This was a personal choice that has nothing to do with basketball.
“I want to thank the Wake Forest community and Deacon fans for supporting us the past two seasons. I will always be a Deacon at heart and a part of the Wake Forest family.”
The bright side for Wake Forest, a program that’s had its share of issues under second-year coach Jeff Bzdelik? This clears the path for incoming freshman Cody Miller-McIntyre to start as a freshman.
Then again, Miller-McIntyre may have earned the starting job anyway. The 4-star prospect is the star of Wake’s incoming six-man recruiting class.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Blue Ribbon announces their preseason all-american team (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Nike and Under Armour host showcase events as the Shoe Wars continue to heat up (2)