Mar 20, 2012, 12:35 PM EST
Wake Forest guard Tony Chennault will transfer, the school announced Tuesday.
Chennault, a sophomore point guard, started all 31 games for the Demon Deacons in 2011-12. He says he wants to go to a Philadelphia school to be closer to his family.
He was their third-leader scorer (9.0 ppg) and its leader in assists (2.8).
“This was a tough decision to leave my teammates at this point in my career, but at the end of the day I have to do what’s best for me and my family,” Chennault said in a statement. “This was a personal choice that has nothing to do with basketball.
“I want to thank the Wake Forest community and Deacon fans for supporting us the past two seasons. I will always be a Deacon at heart and a part of the Wake Forest family.”
The bright side for Wake Forest, a program that’s had its share of issues under second-year coach Jeff Bzdelik? This clears the path for incoming freshman Cody Miller-McIntyre to start as a freshman.
Then again, Miller-McIntyre may have earned the starting job anyway. The 4-star prospect is the star of Wake’s incoming six-man recruiting class.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- NCAA tournament berth the final step for St. John’s senior class 0
- Bracketology: Kentucky reigns and March arrives 1
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)