Mar 20, 2012, 12:35 PM EST
Wake Forest guard Tony Chennault will transfer, the school announced Tuesday.
Chennault, a sophomore point guard, started all 31 games for the Demon Deacons in 2011-12. He says he wants to go to a Philadelphia school to be closer to his family.
He was their third-leader scorer (9.0 ppg) and its leader in assists (2.8).
“This was a tough decision to leave my teammates at this point in my career, but at the end of the day I have to do what’s best for me and my family,” Chennault said in a statement. “This was a personal choice that has nothing to do with basketball.
“I want to thank the Wake Forest community and Deacon fans for supporting us the past two seasons. I will always be a Deacon at heart and a part of the Wake Forest family.”
The bright side for Wake Forest, a program that’s had its share of issues under second-year coach Jeff Bzdelik? This clears the path for incoming freshman Cody Miller-McIntyre to start as a freshman.
Then again, Miller-McIntyre may have earned the starting job anyway. The 4-star prospect is the star of Wake’s incoming six-man recruiting class.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Why Duke’s road win at Virginia was so shocking 3
- Briante Weber suffers season-ending knee injury in No. 14 VCU’s loss to Richmond 0
- No. 4 Duke ends No. 2 Virginia’s unbeaten season 1
- Foul line, offensive rebounding aid No. 13 Louisville’s comeback effort 0
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 4 Duke rebounds to beat No. 2 Virginia, and No. 8 Notre Dame falls 0
- No. 8 Notre Dame upset by Pitt 1
- Auburn coach Bruce Pearl greeted with cheers during first return to Tennessee (VIDEO) 2
- Duke dismisses reserve shooting guard from program (13)
- Bill Self on the loss of Kansas-Missouri rivalry: ‘It hasn’t been great’ (8)
- Jerian Grant, No. 8 Notre Dame erase another double-digit deficit as they beat No. 4 Duke (7)
- Wichita State guard Conner Frankamp arrested on Saturday night (4)
- Jerian Grant turns back fans trying to storm the floor after Duke win (GIF) (4)