Mar 20, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
Wake Forest guard Tony Chennault will transfer, the school announced Tuesday.
Chennault, a sophomore point guard, started all 31 games for the Demon Deacons in 2011-12. He says he wants to go to a Philadelphia school to be closer to his family.
He was their third-leader scorer (9.0 ppg) and its leader in assists (2.8).
“This was a tough decision to leave my teammates at this point in my career, but at the end of the day I have to do what’s best for me and my family,” Chennault said in a statement. “This was a personal choice that has nothing to do with basketball.
“I want to thank the Wake Forest community and Deacon fans for supporting us the past two seasons. I will always be a Deacon at heart and a part of the Wake Forest family.”
The bright side for Wake Forest, a program that’s had its share of issues under second-year coach Jeff Bzdelik? This clears the path for incoming freshman Cody Miller-McIntyre to start as a freshman.
Then again, Miller-McIntyre may have earned the starting job anyway. The 4-star prospect is the star of Wake’s incoming six-man recruiting class.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Former Cornell forward Shonn Miller headed to UConn for final season of eligibility 0
- Purdue center A.J. Hammons to return for senior season 0
- Five-star 7-footer Stephen Zimmerman commits to UNLV 4
- College basketball’s eight most important NBA Draft decisions 2
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 8
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List 10
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft 11
- Duke’s Tyus Jones becomes third Blue Devil to enter the NBA Draft (11)
- 2015 College Basketball Updated Early Entry List (10)
- Duke freshman Justise Winslow will enter 2015 NBA Draft (8)
- Updated 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too Early Preseason Top 25 (8)
- 6-foot-11 center Antonio Vrankovic commits to Duke (6)