Mar 21, 2012, 11:10 AM EST
Here’s a distraction Marquette would rather not have.
Six players were cited last week for being in a club underage: Todd Mayo, 20, and Vander Blue, 19. Juan Anderson, Jamail Jones, Derrick Wilson and Jake Thomas were also cited. Blue is a starter.
The incident happened nearly two months ago, which makes the timing problematic as a distraction – if the Golden Eagles receive a lot of questions about it. Doesn’t sound like they’ll provide many answers. Not sure they should, either. The whole thing sounds like a non-issue.
“Maybe I wasn’t clear on what I said. We handled it on January the 29th within our team. We handled it on Jan. 30 with our administration. That was a Monday. …That’s all I have to say about it. Is that not what I said?” coach Buzz Williams told WISN 12 News.
Can’t say I blame Williams.
The timing’s terrible for Marquette, but police told the station that’s how long the investigation took to complete. And if they got cited last week, it sure didn’t seem to affect their performance thus far.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Weekend Preview: Iowa-Iowa State highlights a rivalry-heavy weekend slate 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Ten Most Disappointing Teams 0
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Who are the top five teams as of today? 1
- The Chase for 180: Jahii Carson’s improved jump shot 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Top Ten Most Surprising Teams 1
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (4)
- Why is Kentucky’s attendance going down? UK writer says Rupp is ‘stale’ (4)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- Late Night Snacks: Rhode Island rivalry and VCU’s overtime (2)
- Wisconsin guard George Marshall seeking transfer (2)