Mar 21, 2012, 3:46 PM EDT
Five days after a season-ending loss to Ohio in the NCAA tournament, three players have left John Beilein’s program at Michigan.
Evan Smotrycz, Carlton Brundidge, and Colton Christian have decided to leave the Wolverines and transfer away from Ann Arbor.
“We never like to see players leave the program, however, Evan, Colton and Carlton have made the decision to transfer and continue their careers elsewhere,” said Beilein in a statement released by the university. “All three are fine young men with bright futures. We wish them and their families nothing but success going forward.”
Smotrycz is the biggest statistical loss for the Wolverines, after he averaged seven points and almost four rebounds in 69 total games at Michigan.
Brunbridge and Christian saw limited time in their respective tenures with the program, but Brunbridge was a four-star recruit when he joined Michigan out of the Class of 2011.
If Trey Burke and Tim Hardaway Jr. both return to the Wolverines, they will be pieces to add to a strong recruiting class that is coming in 2012, headed by forwards Mitch McGary and Glenn Robinson Jr.
Beilein also has four players committed for the Class of 2013, so the Wolverine future is solidly intact, but Smotrycz, Brunbridge, and Christian will continue their careers elsewhere.
Michigan finished as co-champions of the Big Ten this season, ending the year with a 24-10 record, including 13-5 in-conference.
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 0
- George Washington joins ‘cool court club’, redesigns home floor 0
- The bond between Rick Byrd and Casey Alexander crosses rivalry lines 0
- How did Bill Self learn about Andrew Wiggins’ commitment? Twitter 0
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 11
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Gronk's arm infection clear after surgery
- HBT: Dodgers have 'no plans' to fire Mattingly
- PBT: Brothers assaulted for taking Lillard's photo?
- PBT: Nets reportedly 'hone in' on Grizzlies' Hollins
- CBT: Ex-Rutgers coach Rice seeks Lucas' counsel