Mar 22, 2012, 2:20 PM EDT
Gatorade announced its Player of the Year awards on Thursday, one award given to the best player in each state in the nation. Below is a quick rundown and recruiting update on some of the most notable names.
Shabazz Muhammad | Bishop Gorman (Nev.) | Unsigned
NBCSports.com did a short profile of Muhammad on Wednesday and his decision is forthcoming. On the year, he averaged 30 points and 10 rebounds per game. The 6-6 swingman will choose between UNLV, USC, UCLA, Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas.
Amile Jefferson | Friend’s Central (PA) | Unsigned
Jefferson averaged 19 points, 10 rebounds, and almost three blocks in his senior season and solidified his name in the rich Philadelphia talent pool. He is an intelligent forward who is looking to sign in the spring period. Reports are that it has come down to NC State and Duke, making for a recruiting showdown in the Tar Heel State.
Tyler Lewis | Oak Hill (VA) | Signed to NC State
The Wolfpack have a strong three-man class coming in 2012 and the soon-to-be backcourt-heavy Pack will have this kid at the helm. A shifty passer and creative ballhandler, Lewis led Oak Hill to a 44-0 record this season. Along with Rodney Purvis, who won Player of the Year in North Carolina, NC State could be dangerous in 2012-13.
Kris Dunn | New London (CT) | Signed to Providence
Dunn and fellow guard Ricky Ledo will be the face of a rebuilding Providence program under Ed Cooley. The 6-4 guard averaged 31 points, 12 rebounds and five assists this season and is a Top 30 prospect in the Class of 2012.
Ricardo Gathers | Riverside Academy (LA) | Verbally Committed to Baylor
Originally a St. John’s commit, Gathers is now headed to Waco to play for Scott Drew. The Bears are getting a solidly-built rebounding machine who averaged 20 points, 17 rebounds, and four blocks per game this season.
Tony Parker | Miller Grove (GA) | Unsigned
Parker is a McDonald’s All-American and one of the most coveted unsigned big man remaining on the board, this side of Nerlens Noel. Duke, UConn, UCLA, Kansas, Ohio State and Georgetown are all in the mix. He averaged 16 points and 11 rebounds for Miller Grove this season.
- Coach K: ACC will be ‘best conference in the history of the game’ 2
- Bringing in ex-Gator Cody Larson worth the risk South Dakota State 0
- FBI: San Diego point-shaving scandal netted ‘more than $120,000′ 2
- Pressure mounting on Texas head coach Rick Barnes? 0
- Former Memphis forward Tarik Black will spend senior year at Kansas 2
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality (13)
- Report: Kevin Stallings blocks Sheldon Jeter’s transfer to Pitt (5)
- Kentucky phenoms choose 2013-14 preparation over other possibilities (4)
- Duke signee Semi Ojeleye named Parade Magazine Player of the Year (3)
- Steven Pearl, BBQ jokes and a Tennessee radio ad (3)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte