Mar 22, 2012, 1:04 PM EDT
If there is one theme that has emerged in the era of social media, it’s that it can be a breeding ground for solidarity.
After Kendall Marshall’s wrist injury against Creighton, the latest hashtag wildfire has caught on.
Introducing “#PassFir5t,” a craze started by an anonymous North Carolina fan to show that Tar Heel Nation is behind Marshall as he recovers. Here’s how it goes:
Take your right wrist, the one Marshall injured, write Marshall’s number (5) on the wrist, snap a photo, post it on Twitter, tag it with the hashtag “#PassFir5t”.
A quick Twitter search of the hashtag shows people of all ages taking part in the phenomenon, from toddlers to college-aged kids to grown adults. There’s even a photoshopped photo of Dean Smith with the “5” written on his wrist.
This is the lighter and more prevalent side of the North Carolina fanbase, after a week plagued by unflattering press about the reaction of some Tar Heel fans to the hard foul by Creighton’s Ethan Wragge that injured Marshall.
As for an update on Marshall, he tweeted yesterday that his cast is off, following a corrective surgery on Monday, and his father has said that his son could play on Friday against Ohio in the Sweet 16.
If he can play, the Tar Heels national championship hopes will be brightened, after the cloud of gloom that settled over many fans after his injury was announced. He most likely won’t be 100%, but a Kendall Marshall at 75% is still a better option than most point guards in the country.
- Report: Baylor coach told Griner not to talk about her sexuality 2
- Coach K on returning to Team USA: ‘There’s a chance’ 0
- New Mexico, former coach Steve Alford settle buyout dispute 1
- Ben McLemore denies former AAU coach’s allegations 0
- 2014 small forward Jordan Barnett generating buzz in the EYBL 1
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges