Mar 22, 2012, 7:05 PM EDT
Connecticut’s hoping the NCAA will make changes that’ll allow the Huskies to play in the 2013 NCAA tournament – but it might have to wait until July to find out.
According to rules passed in October, UConn would be ineligible to compete in next year’s tournament because its APR scores were too low to meet the threshold. The NCAA’s Committee on Academic Performance has been discussing whether it should use data from 2010-11 and 2011-12 to determine eligibility, rather than 2009-10 and 2010-11. Schools must have a two-year APR average of 930 or a four-year average of 900.
But the committee may not resolve that question until April or even later this summer.
If the ruling comes out by April, it could affect the decision of numerous UConn players to enter the NBA draft, including potential lottery picks Andre Drummond and Jeremy Lamb.
“They don’t give us updates until they rule one way or another,” UConn spokesman Phil Chardis told the AP.
The school also wants a waiver regarding the sanctions, arguing its APR progress represents significant improvement. It scored 826 on the 2009-10 APR and says it’ll score above 975 for 2010-11. A perfect score is 1000.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Las Vegas Thursday Recap: Skal Labissiere, Stephen Zimmerman perform well 0
- Malik Beasley looking to capitalize on a big spring, summer 0
- Top 15 recruit Antonio Blakeney has made the ‘jump’ — literally — to elite status 2
- July Live Period Week Two Superlatives 0
- Seven Takeaways from the Under Armour Finals 0
- Iowa State’s Georges Niang carries extra motivation – and less weight – into 2014-15 0
- Emmanuel Mudiay to China makes him even more of a case-study 0
- Chris Walker looks like he’s spent some time in the gym (PHOTO) (5)
- Mother of elite recruit Josh Jackson: ‘Josh hasn’t been recruited by anyone’ (5)
- NCAA gets rid of name-likeness release form for student-athletes (3)
- Isaiah Austin has a job with the NBA once he finishes degree at Baylor (2)
- Dayton unveils new logo, court and basketball uniforms (2)