Mar 23, 2012, 11:20 AM EDT
If Rivers does end up leaving school, it should come as no surprise. The 6’3″ freshman, who averaged 15.5 ppg, 3.4 rpg and 2.1 apg, is projected as a first round pick — Draft Express currently lists him 17th, although there are many that expect him to jump into the lottery — and has always seemed to carry himself like a one-and-doner. You can also be assured that Rivers got the best advice on where his standing is as a prospect; his father is Doc Rivers, the head coach of the Boston Celtics.
Rivers came a long way during the season. Early on, he struggled trying to blend into a team setting. It was always the Austin Rivers show when he was playing at the high school level, so learning to deal with having teammates that wanted touches as well was a difficult thing for him to grasp. To his credit, his decision making and shot selection did get better throughout the season.
The question that NBA GM’s have is what position Rivers will play. He’s not a point guard, but there are legitimate concerns that he doesn’t have the size or the raw athleticism to play the two in the league.
There are also rumors going around that Mason Plumlee will be entering the draft as well, although nothing is official yet.
Duke’s season ended last week when the No. 2 seed Blue Devils lost to No. 15 Lehigh in the opening round of the NCAA tournament.
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 3
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? 11
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Former Duke guard speaks publicly for first time since dismissal from team (5)