Mar 23, 2012, 7:51 PM EST
If the thought of Illinois hiring a high school coach seems wild, here’s an idea that’s even more far-fetched – Brad Stevens coaching Illinois.
The site HammerandNigel says a “very reliable source” indicates the Butler coach will accept an 8-year $21 million contract to coach the Illini.
Except for one problem.
“There is absolutely no truth to it,” Stevens told ESPN’s Dana O’Neil. “I have not been contacted.”
“I don’t know anything about it. Nobody has called me. Here’s how I spent my day — I had individual meetings, I went fishing and I was just drawing chalk on the driveway with my daughter. I came in with all this fishing gear on and my wife told me my phone was blowing up.”
So there’s that.
Stevens is the coach every school with an opening — and even some with entrenched coaches — want. He’s been to two Final Fours, has established himself as a coach who maximizes talent and wins with regularity. Of course Illinois wants him.
But this doesn’t seem like a possibility. Not like this.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.brad
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)