Mar 23, 2012, 7:51 PM EST
If the thought of Illinois hiring a high school coach seems wild, here’s an idea that’s even more far-fetched – Brad Stevens coaching Illinois.
The site HammerandNigel says a “very reliable source” indicates the Butler coach will accept an 8-year $21 million contract to coach the Illini.
Except for one problem.
“There is absolutely no truth to it,” Stevens told ESPN’s Dana O’Neil. “I have not been contacted.”
“I don’t know anything about it. Nobody has called me. Here’s how I spent my day — I had individual meetings, I went fishing and I was just drawing chalk on the driveway with my daughter. I came in with all this fishing gear on and my wife told me my phone was blowing up.”
So there’s that.
Stevens is the coach every school with an opening — and even some with entrenched coaches — want. He’s been to two Final Fours, has established himself as a coach who maximizes talent and wins with regularity. Of course Illinois wants him.
But this doesn’t seem like a possibility. Not like this.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.brad
- Weekly Awards: D’Angelo Russell’s ascension, Kansas takes the next step 0
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25 0
- Coach K earns career win No. 1,000 in No. 5 Duke’s win over St. John’s 3
- Kentucky lands commitment from international Class of 2016 big man 3
- Saturday’s Snacks: No. 18 West Virginia, Georgetown win absolute thrillers 0
- No. 11 Kansas makes a statement blowing out No. 17 Texas 1
- Bracket Update: Upcoming stretch could have major impact on Duke’s NCAA seeding 2
- No. 6 Wisconsin utterly embarrassed No. 25 Iowa for more than one reason (13)
- The Top Ten Players that Coach K has had at Duke (13)
- You think college basketball is unwatchable this year? Turn on an Indiana game (7)
- College Basketball Talk’s Latest Top 25: So where do we rank Duke? (5)
- You Make The Call: Was this a charge on TaShawn Thomas? (VIDEO) (5)