Mar 23, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
Duquesne has fired their head coach Ron Everhart.
This is not entirely unexpected given the events in recent days. Star point guard TJ McConnell, Mike Talley and Danny Herrera all announced their intention to transfer out of the program. Combine that fact with the growing tension between Everhart and Duquesne’s AD Greg Amodio, toss in a side of underachievement — despite having a talented roster the past two seasons, Duquesne has won just 35 total games — and, well, this is what happens.
Everhart was 98-88 in six seasons with Duquesne, going 46-50 in Atlantic 10 play. He never finished better than fourth in the conference and only made one trip to the NIT.
One name to keep an eye on here is Orlando Antigua, who is currently an assistant with Kentucky. Antigua played at Pitt, was an assistant coach at Pitt and Kentucky head coach John Calipari grew up in the area.
As far McConnell is concerned, Penn State and Arizona are two landing spots that have been rumored. McConnell was one of the most underrated all-around point guards in the country the last two seasons. He is going to make a coach very happy wherever he ends up.
- Top talent in 2016 announces a top ten 1
- North Carolina athletic director Bubba Cunningham comments on Rashad McCants situation 1
- College Basketball Talk’s Recruiting Roundup 0
- Former Michigan center discusses hasty departure for the NBA (VIDEO) 0
- Five-star 2015 center trims list to five 1
- College of Charleston coaching search takes another turn 0
- Rivals releases new rankings for the Class of 2015 0
- DePaul’s Purnell loses fifth recruit that signed letter of intent (3)
- Former Ole Miss star Marshall Henderson getting pro tryout in Italy (2)
- Will Bill Self and Kansas play small-ball this season? (2)
- Report: Ex-Spartan forward headed to Ohio (1)
- Blue Ribbon releases their Preseason First Team All-Americans (1)