Mar 23, 2012, 12:02 PM EDT
Duquesne has fired their head coach Ron Everhart.
This is not entirely unexpected given the events in recent days. Star point guard TJ McConnell, Mike Talley and Danny Herrera all announced their intention to transfer out of the program. Combine that fact with the growing tension between Everhart and Duquesne’s AD Greg Amodio, toss in a side of underachievement — despite having a talented roster the past two seasons, Duquesne has won just 35 total games — and, well, this is what happens.
Everhart was 98-88 in six seasons with Duquesne, going 46-50 in Atlantic 10 play. He never finished better than fourth in the conference and only made one trip to the NIT.
One name to keep an eye on here is Orlando Antigua, who is currently an assistant with Kentucky. Antigua played at Pitt, was an assistant coach at Pitt and Kentucky head coach John Calipari grew up in the area.
As far McConnell is concerned, Penn State and Arizona are two landing spots that have been rumored. McConnell was one of the most underrated all-around point guards in the country the last two seasons. He is going to make a coach very happy wherever he ends up.
- Looking Forward: Potential Breakout Stars in 2015-16 4
- How Jaylen Brown’s commitment made a huge impact on the finalists recruiting him 4
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings 3
- Five-star wing Jaylen Brown commits to California 0
- With Billy Donovan headed to Oklahoma City, where does this leave Florida? 5
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique 12
- Report: Billy Donovan, Oklahoma City ‘nearing an agreement’ on coaching vacancy 2
- 2015 College Basketball Early Entry List (14)
- Derek Anderson could not have been more wrong in his Calipari critique (12)
- How concerned should North Carolina fans be that Brandon Ingram passed on the Tar Heels? (11)
- CBT Roundtable: What rule would you change in college basketball? (11)
- Report: Five-star small forward Jaylen Brown cuts list to four (6)