Mar 23, 2012, 12:02 PM EST
Duquesne has fired their head coach Ron Everhart.
This is not entirely unexpected given the events in recent days. Star point guard TJ McConnell, Mike Talley and Danny Herrera all announced their intention to transfer out of the program. Combine that fact with the growing tension between Everhart and Duquesne’s AD Greg Amodio, toss in a side of underachievement — despite having a talented roster the past two seasons, Duquesne has won just 35 total games — and, well, this is what happens.
Everhart was 98-88 in six seasons with Duquesne, going 46-50 in Atlantic 10 play. He never finished better than fourth in the conference and only made one trip to the NIT.
One name to keep an eye on here is Orlando Antigua, who is currently an assistant with Kentucky. Antigua played at Pitt, was an assistant coach at Pitt and Kentucky head coach John Calipari grew up in the area.
As far McConnell is concerned, Penn State and Arizona are two landing spots that have been rumored. McConnell was one of the most underrated all-around point guards in the country the last two seasons. He is going to make a coach very happy wherever he ends up.
- Maurice Creek, George Washington proving to be a match made in heaven 0
- Kansas lost, but Jayhawk fans should be happy after the Colorado game 2
- Colorado needs game-winner to serve as a catalyst for Askia Booker (VIDEO) 0
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again 3
- CBT Weekly Roundtable: Figuring out the ACC 0
- No. 1 Michigan State’s loss to North Carolina: Injuries, or sign of a bigger issue? (5)
- Report: Delta bumps entire flight to get Florida to UConn (3)
- Weekend Preview: Kentucky-Baylor, a trio of in-state rivalry games (3)
- Turnovers, rebounding woes plague No. 3 Kentucky again (3)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25 rankings (2)