Mar 23, 2012, 4:52 PM EST
Jim Boeheim might spend as much time defending Syracuse’s use of a 2-3 zone defense as he does coaching it.
So he went on the offensive on Friday.
Per Adam Zagoria, the Orange coach shrugged off any notion that he must convince players that the zone is worth playing — “They buy into it because they want to play.” – then criticized any analyst questions the use of a zone defense.
“I never hear anybody yelling at [Duke coach] Mike Krzyzewski to go back and play zone,” Boeheim said. “Why is that? He’s such a good coach, you don’t question him? Is that what that is? Really? Somebody shook their head down here. OK, that means I’m not a good coach, so you can question me.
“It’s all bull—-.”
Stylistic questions aside, Boeheim did note an important aspect of the zone: keeping players out of foul trouble. An example? When Wisconsin’s Jared Berggen had to sit because of that issue Thursday night. That doesn’t happen as often with the Orange.
“There’s other reasons, too, that zone is good,” Boeheim said. “A guy gets two fouls in the first half, I don’t take him out. We can protect him.
“So I keep my best offensive player in the game the whole half.”
The numbers bear that out, too. None of Syracuse’s five best players, Dion Waiters, Kris Joseph, Scoop Jardine, Brandon Triche and C.J. Fair, commit more than 2.9 fouls per 40 minutes.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Right wrist injury to sideline Maryland senior wing four weeks 0
- Bronson Koenig, Duje Dukan step forward in No. 2 Wisconsin’s win over Georgetown 0
- St. John’s seniors say they ‘grew up’ against Minnesota, but have they? 1
- The little things made a big difference in No. 3 Arizona’s win over No. 15 San Diego State 0
- Butler upsets No. 5 North Carolina in Battle 4 Atlantis opener 2
- If No. 12 Villanova doesn’t have a star on their roster, no one told JayVaughn Pinkston 0
- JayVaughn Pinkston’s block gives No. 12 Villanova a win over No. 19 Michigan (VIDEO) 2
- Villanova’s win is evidence of why VCU may have peaked as a basketball program (14)
- Rick Pitino on blow out win: ‘We played four white guys and an Egyptian’ (14)
- Michigan’s John Beilein rips ESPN for late tip time during Tuesday’s loss (13)
- Penn State unveils new uniforms for next two games (6)
- College Basketball Talk’s latest top 25: Kentucky reigns, but how far will Kansas, Florida slide? (5)