Mar 23, 2012, 6:53 PM EDT
For a fan base it’s never fun having to go through a coaching change, especially when the coach moving on was well on his way to turning things around.
That’s what Colorado State fans will likely have to deal with as head coach Tim Miles is expected by many outlets to be introduced as the new head coach at Nebraska on Saturday.
But here’s the thing about the resulting vacancy in Fort Collins: the Rams, who reached the NCAA tournament this season (losing to Murray State), should contend for the Mountain West title in 2012-13.
Of course that will depend on who athletic director Jack Graham hires to take over the program, but with Will Bell and Kaipo Sabas being the lone seniors on this year’s team the Rams will be both experienced and talented.
Guards Jesse Carr, Wes Eikmeier and Dorian Green return as do forwards Pierce Hornung and Greg Smith, and they were five of Colorado State’s top six scorers in 2011-12.
CSU also adds two transfers who will add to the depth in guard Daniel Bejarano (Arizona) and center Colton Iverson (Minnesota).
Iverson adds some much-needed size to a team that didn’t play a player taller than 6-6 down the stretch, and while Bejarano didn’t play much at Arizona he was a prolific scorer in high school.
Also slated to join the program are freshmen Jordan Mason (6-2 guard from the Dallas area) and Jermaine Morgan (6-8 forward from Chicago), with Morgan receiving some Big Ten interest during his recruitment.
Of course it remains to be seen who decides that Colorado State is still the best place for them post-Miles, but with the right hire CSU will have the tools needed for a run at the Mountain West crown.
- Gregg Marshall to remain at Wichita State, won’t visit Alabama 1
- Maryland point guard Melo Trimble to return for sophomore season 5
- Frank Kaminsky, Jahlil Okafor highlight five Wooden Award finalists 3
- 2015 NCAA Tournament All-Second Weekend Team 2
- While a major question remains unanswered, No. 4 North Carolina can be special in 2015-16 3
- Tournament darling R.J. Hunter is heading to the NBA 3
- Texas freshman Myles Turner declares for the NBA Draft 6
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (88)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (27)
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane (24)
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see (22)