Mar 23, 2012, 6:53 PM EDT
For a fan base it’s never fun having to go through a coaching change, especially when the coach moving on was well on his way to turning things around.
That’s what Colorado State fans will likely have to deal with as head coach Tim Miles is expected by many outlets to be introduced as the new head coach at Nebraska on Saturday.
But here’s the thing about the resulting vacancy in Fort Collins: the Rams, who reached the NCAA tournament this season (losing to Murray State), should contend for the Mountain West title in 2012-13.
Of course that will depend on who athletic director Jack Graham hires to take over the program, but with Will Bell and Kaipo Sabas being the lone seniors on this year’s team the Rams will be both experienced and talented.
Guards Jesse Carr, Wes Eikmeier and Dorian Green return as do forwards Pierce Hornung and Greg Smith, and they were five of Colorado State’s top six scorers in 2011-12.
CSU also adds two transfers who will add to the depth in guard Daniel Bejarano (Arizona) and center Colton Iverson (Minnesota).
Iverson adds some much-needed size to a team that didn’t play a player taller than 6-6 down the stretch, and while Bejarano didn’t play much at Arizona he was a prolific scorer in high school.
Also slated to join the program are freshmen Jordan Mason (6-2 guard from the Dallas area) and Jermaine Morgan (6-8 forward from Chicago), with Morgan receiving some Big Ten interest during his recruitment.
Of course it remains to be seen who decides that Colorado State is still the best place for them post-Miles, but with the right hire CSU will have the tools needed for a run at the Mountain West crown.
- Re-ranking the recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2006? 0
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2005? 1
- Re-ranking recruiting classes: Who are the 25 best players from the Class of 2004? 2
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season 4
- Who are the names to watch for the 2016 NBA Draft? 2
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward 5
- 2015 NBA Draft: Pat Connaughton, Montrezl Harrell headline list of second round steals 0
- UPDATED: 2015-2016 College Basketball Way-Too-Early Preseason Rankings (18)
- Cliff Alexander, Aaron Harrison among early entrants not selected Thursday night (6)
- 2015 NBA Draft: The six biggest question marks moving forward (5)
- Bo Ryan to retire from Wisconsin after next season (4)
- NBA Draft Winners: Seven teams that should be happy with their draft (3)