Mar 23, 2012, 9:28 AM EDT
Being an All-American just isn’t what it used to be. At least for predicting NBA stardom.
This interesting post by Neil Paine over at Basketball Prospectus lists the First- or Second-Team All-NBA players and their college status since 1963 and finds the last few years to be awfully bleak.
The college stars and pro stars don’t always align – different styles, etc – but that still seems odd. Blake Griffin’ll join the superstar list soon (I’d think) and John Wall could do the same if the Wizards ever filled the roster with a semblance of competent players, but still.
Just three superstars since ’00? And 16 guys who are NBA scrubs and 11 who didn’t even play? That’s nuts. Have there been that many upperclassmen who worked their way onto the All-American lists in that span who couldn’t cut it in the NBA?
Among this year’s crop of college basketball All-Americans – Anthony Davis, Thomas Robinson, Draymond Green and Doug McDermott are the four shoe-ins – Davis is the only one who seems to fit the superstar bill. Robinson could get there, but he’ll need a more consistent jumper. I’d guess Green and McDermott need to find the right fits to be regular players.
It’s a strange transition from college to pro. Even for the stars.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Cody Zeller, Indiana president speak out against recent athlete legal issues 0
- Five-star 2016 combo guard cuts list to four 0
- Xavier, Mount St. Joseph to launch the ‘Lauren Hill Tip-Off Classic’ 0
- Tai Wynyard: ‘I will be coming to UK in December’ 0
- Tom Izzo, 30 second shot clocks, and why zone presses will be more popular this year 1
- Kentucky lands a commitment from four-star 2016 forward 0
- Everything you need to know about the College Hoops Tip-Off Marathon 0
- Bill Self says Cheick Diallo could wait ‘at least another month’ for eligibility ruling (12)
- Winona State coach Mike Leaf resigned after player accused him of making drunken sexual advances (6)
- Throwback Thursday: Which Jim Calhoun rant was the best Jim Calhoun rant? (3)
- Tulsa gets 2016 commitment from former Wichita State guard (2)
- Here’s what the new Illinois basketball court will look like (PHOTO) (2)