Mar 23, 2012, 9:28 AM EDT
Being an All-American just isn’t what it used to be. At least for predicting NBA stardom.
This interesting post by Neil Paine over at Basketball Prospectus lists the First- or Second-Team All-NBA players and their college status since 1963 and finds the last few years to be awfully bleak.
The college stars and pro stars don’t always align – different styles, etc – but that still seems odd. Blake Griffin’ll join the superstar list soon (I’d think) and John Wall could do the same if the Wizards ever filled the roster with a semblance of competent players, but still.
Just three superstars since ’00? And 16 guys who are NBA scrubs and 11 who didn’t even play? That’s nuts. Have there been that many upperclassmen who worked their way onto the All-American lists in that span who couldn’t cut it in the NBA?
Among this year’s crop of college basketball All-Americans – Anthony Davis, Thomas Robinson, Draymond Green and Doug McDermott are the four shoe-ins – Davis is the only one who seems to fit the superstar bill. Robinson could get there, but he’ll need a more consistent jumper. I’d guess Green and McDermott need to find the right fits to be regular players.
It’s a strange transition from college to pro. Even for the stars.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- CBT’s Recruiting Roundup: Boston College, Illinois, LSU have big visitors 0
- Kentucky’s John Calipari offers his thoughts on USA Basketball critiques 0
- Coach K responds to USA Basketball criticism during press conference 1
- A key piece for Providence is cleared for full-contact practice 0
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ 8
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan 5
- Thoughts on Antonio Blakeney, shoe companies and decommitments 1
- Jim Boeheim calls Yahoo’s Coach K story ‘completely off-base’ (8)
- Big Blue Nation already camping out for Big Blue Madness? (PHOTO) (5)
- Jalen Rose believes Chris Webber should apologize for what happened at Michigan (5)
- USA Basketball, Mike Krzyzewski and thoughts on today’s ‘takedown’ (4)
- Bo Ryan hits golf balls into Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium (PHOTO) (4)