Mar 23, 2012, 9:28 AM EST
Being an All-American just isn’t what it used to be. At least for predicting NBA stardom.
This interesting post by Neil Paine over at Basketball Prospectus lists the First- or Second-Team All-NBA players and their college status since 1963 and finds the last few years to be awfully bleak.
The college stars and pro stars don’t always align – different styles, etc – but that still seems odd. Blake Griffin’ll join the superstar list soon (I’d think) and John Wall could do the same if the Wizards ever filled the roster with a semblance of competent players, but still.
Just three superstars since ’00? And 16 guys who are NBA scrubs and 11 who didn’t even play? That’s nuts. Have there been that many upperclassmen who worked their way onto the All-American lists in that span who couldn’t cut it in the NBA?
Among this year’s crop of college basketball All-Americans – Anthony Davis, Thomas Robinson, Draymond Green and Doug McDermott are the four shoe-ins – Davis is the only one who seems to fit the superstar bill. Robinson could get there, but he’ll need a more consistent jumper. I’d guess Green and McDermott need to find the right fits to be regular players.
It’s a strange transition from college to pro. Even for the stars.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- Weekend Preview: Saturday will be the season’s best day of games 0
- Bubble Banter: Just how safe is Michigan State, and did Ohio State punch a ticket? 2
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy 13
- Wednesday’s Snacks: No. 1 Kentucky moves to 28-0, Northwestern knocks off Indiana 0
- Duke’s defense once again an issue as they get taken to overtime by Virginia Tech 4
- Bubble Banter: Wild night in the Atlantic 10, Indiana in trouble? 0
- Wisconsin’s loss to Maryland a massive blow, but not for the reasons you think 4
- Report: Former Louisville guard Chris Jones charged with rape, sodomy (13)
- Bill Self crushed, Jamari Traylor targeted during Kansas State court storm (VIDEO) (12)
- Roy Williams calls out North Carolina fans following win over Georgia Tech (11)
- Dez Wells, Melo Trimble lead No. 14 Maryland to upset of No. 5 Wisconsin (9)
- Is Ohio State asking too much of freshman sensation D’Angelo Russell? (8)