Mar 24, 2012, 7:49 AM EDT
Doron Lamb saw this coming. At least he says he did.
“Today in the pregame, we all made our foul shots, so I knew today would be a great time for us making foul shots today, and we did today,” he said.
Some? Doron, Kentucky made more than “some” free throws. Try an amazing 35 of 37 from the free-throw line during Friday night’s 102-90 win against Indiana. That’s the most in an NCAA tournament game since Arizona hit 43 vs. Illinois in 2001 and just misses out on a top-10 mark for any tournament game.
But, it was the more free throws attempted while missing two or fewer in any game this season and was the program’s best performance from the line (with at least 30 attempts) since 2006. And to do it against Indiana, a team that’d already beaten Kentucky once this season and was finding so many ways to score that the ‘Cats had hit everything just to stay ahead, is quite a feat.
“It’s not any big deal,” Michael Kidd-Gilchrist said. “We’re just taking our time with free throws.”
Put it this way: If Kentucky makes 95 percent of its free-throw attempts the rest of the tournament, everyone else is toast.
You also can follow me on Twitter @MikeMillerNBC.
- The Final Four is set, and it’s going to be insane 6
- No. 7 Michigan State reaches the Final Four for the seventh time under Izzo 6
- Wisconsin vs. Kentucky: The Final Four rematch we deserved to see 7
- No. 2 Arizona, Sean Miller’s quest to reach Final Four once again falls short 7
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four 68
- Sam Dekker, Frank Kaminsky catch fire as No. 1 Wisconsin beats No. 2 Arizona 9
- Rick Barnes is no longer the head coach at Texas 16
- Andrew Harrison’s late free throws send No. 1 Kentucky to the Final Four (68)
- Kentucky’s John Calipari is the National Coach of the Year, and it’s not close (36)
- Kentucky responds to Daxter Miles Jr.’s pregame comments (30)
- Updated tournament records: Big Ten teams make up half of Final Four (26)
- West Virginia freshman on Kentucky: ‘They’re going to be 36-1′ (20)