Mar 24, 2012, 12:28 AM EDT
Kentucky is a buzzsaw. Plain and simple.
The Wildcats got dragged into an up-and-down game against Indiana, one that worked its way into the triple digits before Indiana stopped fouling and accepted the 102-90 loss, and still managed to outplay the Hoosiers. Michael Kidd-Gilchrist snapped out of a late-season slump with 24 points and 10 boards while Doron Lamb added 21 and Marquis Teague chipped in with 14 points and seven assists.
The scariest part about this win for Kentucky is that they took Indiana’s best shot and managed to win relatively unchallenged despite the fact that the National Player of the Year, Anthony Davis, was fairly irrelevant until the final ten minutes. I know that it has been beaten to death this season, but when this team gets everyone going at the same time, I’m not sure that they can be beaten.
Perhaps the best sign for the Wildcats is how well Teague played. It took a while for him to develop into the kind of player deserving of the hype he had coming in, but over the last month and change, he has been absolutely terrific. Early in the season, Teague struggled when playing at a faster tempo. That’s part of the reason that Kentucky slowed down the pace they play later in the season. This was as fast as the Wildcats have played all year long, and Teague turned in one of his better performances of the season.
Indiana did everything they wanted to in the first half. They got Anthony Davis into early foul trouble, they were able to get into the paint and score with the big fella out of the game and they got production from up and down their lineup. And they still found themselves down by three heading into halftime.
No. 1 seed Kentucky advances to take on No. 3 seed Baylor in the Elite Eight on Sunday night.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 PM EDT
Elijah Bryant will have three years of eligibility remaining.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:43 PM EDT
The Arkansas forward was charged with one count of forgery last week.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:45 PM EDT
The three-star forward failed to qualify earlier this month.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT
Bobby Hurley off to a good start in his new gig in Tempe.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Tai Wynyard of New Zealand is the only commit currently in Kentucky’s Class of 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 5:15 PM EDT
John Beilein gets his third commitment for 2016.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
If you can do things like this, you can play for Duke or Kentucky.
Jul 28, 2015, 3:58 PM EDT
The accusations against him include burner phones, hiding IP addresses and his mother’s cell.
Jul 28, 2015, 2:35 PM EDT
Don’t jump, kid!!!!!!
Jul 28, 2015, 1:34 PM EDT
Abrams was projected as the starting point guard for Illinois.
Jul 28, 2015, 1:03 PM EDT
The Bulldogs aren’t guaranteed to play a top 25 team until SEC play.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
He is talented, just don’t call him the next Kevin Durant.
Jul 28, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Will Wade will have a beautiful facility to recruit to.
Jul 27, 2015, 9:28 PM EDT
First career 3-pointer for Jones?
Jul 27, 2015, 8:12 PM EDT
Potentially four top-25 teams will be in the 2015 field.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:51 PM EDT
Scott averaged 15.7 points per game for Grambling during the 2013-14 season.
Jul 27, 2015, 5:18 PM EDT
The former Big Ten Player of the Year (inaccurately) trolls Ohio State fans
Jul 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EDT
It’s pretty obvious why people like Porter.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
Gabriel was the biggest stock riser for the month.
Jul 27, 2015, 1:51 PM EDT
Denzel Valentine and Taurean Waller-Prince also played well in stretches.
- If the NCAA is correct, Donnie Tyndall is in big, big trouble 0
- Former Memphis forward Austin Nichols transferring to Virginia 3
- Saturday Las Vegas Recap: Zach Norvell goes off, Josh Jackson makes it look easy 0
- Thursday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith and Frank Jackson battle; Lonzo Ball quiets critics; Wendell Carter talks visit 0
- Wednesday Las Vegas Recap: Dennis Smith vs Lonzo Ball; Frank Jackson faces Kobi Simmons 0
- Kentucky-commit Jamal Murray scores 20 to headline Wednesday’s Pan-Am Games 0
- July Live Period Preview: Four story lines to follow from Las Vegas 0
- Drake committed an NCAA violation while at Kentucky’s Big Blue Madness (11)
- List for potential nicknames for North Dakota down to five (8)
- Nik Stauskas trolls Ohio State fans, claims Thad Matta didn’t know who he was (PHOTO) (6)
- Is adidas giving their basketball programs throwback jerseys? (PHOTOS) (3)
- 7-foot-6 UCF center Tacko Fall throws down between the legs dunk (VIDEO) (3)